Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetails in the ozarks?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whitetails in the ozarks?

You could see alot of deer depending on the situations. For example we have had a run of blue tongue the last 2 yrs in my county. 3 yrs ago I could watch 15-20 deer in our aflalfa field with 6-8 being bucks. This year I saw 1 doe in there. Also if it's a cattle farm that means it doesn't have much timber. If there is a bumper acorn crop then you won't see as many.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:32 PM

It could depend on lots of things, If theres nothing for the deer to eat, or places for them to bed, you may not see many, also couold depend on the amount of pressure in the past, and what the neighbors have on their property. Missouri has the potential to produce great bucks, but most places, the bucks never reach maturity with the brown is down mentality that many still have in the state. Antler restrictions are helping in places where they are in place, but the southern part of the state still doesnt have them yet, but hopefully more counties will be included after this springs MDC public meetings. On 1600 acres, I would think you should be able to find deer, but without knowing more about the farm, its hard to guess. Hunt it and tell us how it goes. Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Spike

well its actually about half field, half woods...so im pretty sure there are an abundance of acorns and other things for the deer to eat...we will probably be planting a couple of food plots as well...not sure but i would think the guy grows something for his cows to eat...oh also it runs along a river that leads to bull shoals lake...so im thinkin that will help out too...guess ill just have to see...only bad thing is I live about 9 hours away so i wont be able to scout it as much as I would like
Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Ozark country has one thing going for it and that's acorns. Tons of Oak trees down south. A few differences between Southern Mo and Northern Mo is there is far more fescue fields for the cattle and less soybeans and corn. Deer are generally smaller in the south and there isn't an antler restriction. I've hunted on public land down south with minimal success but I've only been a few times and saw a lot of sign. I hunted a pic-a-pine farm near Bennett Springs that was loaded with deer that the owner wasn't please at how many of his pines took a beating every year. There is deer definately around size is the only thing dramatically different.