Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Walking in question

Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Walking in question

I would definitely continue on to get setup in the treestand. It would also give you enough time to let the woods quiet down.

Just my two cents....

Jimmy S

That's what I did Jimmy ..my thoughts indeed.Something else about Florida..those darn mosquitoes are terrible..I just can;t wait to gert up into the tree ..so I can hear the quiet and light up my Thermocell ..

As far as finding a better place to hunt..[8D]I wish..
Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

A.

KEEP GOING! You can't shoot what you can't see. They're also less likely to spook if they can't see you too. Deer around me seem to be OK if they can smell you, OK if they can hear you - but NOT OK of they can see & smell - and if they see you...instant busted.

So when I hear something when I'm walking in at dark, I'll stop and hesitate for a moment. It'll give the deer a second to calm down and hopefully shift their attention away. Then I'll go back to walking in very very slowly, and I'll pause every couple steps for a second just to remove the constant human pace..

Seems to work pretty good... most of the times I hear something while walking in - I'll see something come from a little deeper in that general direction when sunlight falls. If you spook them in the dark, they're only going to deviate thier path by 20-30 yards.... unless you dead out BUSTED spooked them...
Old 03-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Spike

I would say A i have this happend to me alot i always keep going to the stand and most of the time the deer will stay around if not they mite come back. But i am going to my stand at 3:00 am if i cant get to my stand by 4:00 more then likely i will not go..
Old 03-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmmm A maybe or c
Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would go with (A)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

if they are upwind I would go to the stand, they were just spooked by the sound, so they will come back. If they were downwind, they smelled you, and you should go home they know yer there

Old 03-29-2008, 10:43 PM

cutting a trail is definitely a must.. but of your choices c is the best
Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

i also say A. if the wind is in your favor ide keep going slow and steady. i wouldnt try to be real sneaky but not carless either. day light is still a ways away and plenty of time for the woods to settle down. i would want to be in my treestand before light letting things get quiet again. thats what i would do, providing i hunted from tree stands.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 AM

I would say A. I use a climbing stand so I want to get it set upon the tree as soon as possible while im still covered by darkness.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:56 AM

Sounds good tome, if others are hunting around me I'd make a trail only I could detect. In my area in Maine, I'd push through to the stand for sure with a buck in front of me. I've done so several times and twice had the bucks push past and bed near my stand, within sight. They are certainly curious and if you're quite but not undetected, they might just stick around to figure you out. Don't start using a grunt until you are certain he is gone, or he'll figure you for sure and stay clear of your stand.