Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to approach a dead deer?

Old 03-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to approach a dead deer?

I usualy ask the deer, did I shoot 5 or did I shoot 6, hah punk!
I'm so original...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i just walk up to it and yell or soemthing and maybe tap it with my shotgun
Old 03-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

How does everyone approach a dead deer? Walk up to it, poke it, kick it? The GOLDEN rule is to approach it down wind and from behind if both situations are possible. I personally walk up to it from behind and give him a little nudge on their back leg, this way if they are stilll alive when they get up to run off you are out of the way.

It really blows my mind to see the people on t.v walk right up to it and poke the deer on its forehead or worse yet in its eye (Deer do not die with their eyes closed, always open). Do they just not think? HELLO. If you the deer is still alive and if its a racked buck those antlers are probably going to be pretty painful.

Just venting...
I'm not going to read through all 3 pages here to see if I'm being redundant here but I think you answerd your own guestion with the eye's.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't really like seeing this video posted on YouTube, but it goes with the topic we're talking about, so here ya go. I guess this proves that just because a deer LOOKS dead, doesn't necessarily mean it is dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfBBYkb6CqE

Old 03-16-2008, 01:54 PM

i set my bow down and get the knife out haha
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: OHhunter79

i have only had one deer that was not movin g run off and i was 10 yards away...but most of the time i'll actually stand back abit and throw a stick at the deer,after i've checked for movement or breathing,then i approach slowly making a little noise just incase.standing anywhere near a deer thats about to jump up and run is not on my fun list.
I'm a big fan of the throw a stick at it. I hold my shotgun in my right hand and underhand a stick at the deer's head. By the time the stick hits, I have drawn my gun up and I'm ready for a finishing shot if needed.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:00 PM

I approach from the back side of the animal and then poke it with my gun.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is no joke....
I walk up...
and kick it right in the ass....
If I see a flinch, I back off... but if its down and not breathin.... Its dead.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was watching a hunting show a few years back and the host who was around sixty made good friends with the ranch owner so the owner took him to his secret spot for a big buck. The host shot a huge deer and they went after it. The camera was roling when they found it and walked up to it with no caution at aboutabout 2 feet from it it decided to jump up and have one more run. I thought those men were going to have a heart attack right there. They decided to let the deer wait over night and I decided to always poke it in the rear with my gun then tap it in the eye for good measure.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use a .243 so... I know it's dead before I get there.

Quick Reply: How to approach a dead deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.