HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   good way to keep deer on my land this summer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/237121-good-way-keep-deer-my-land-summer.html)

mossbergman11 03-12-2008 04:50 PM

good way to keep deer on my land this summer

i was wondering what is a good way to keep deer in 2 of my fields this spring/summer. im planting a food oplot this spring but want the bait out there too. wasnt sure if salt blocks would be good not sure what im gonna put out.
thanks

Steven McBee 03-12-2008 04:55 PM

RE: good way to keep deer on my land this summer

try the trophy rock. 16 pounds of pure genius! lol

mossbergman11 03-12-2008 04:57 PM

oh thats really good? how long it last?

Steven McBee 03-12-2008 04:59 PM

not long because the deer drag it away back into the woods. seriously we have seen 3 deer drag it away from the bait site it tasted so good to them. there is now a 3 foot hole where it was at!

The Rifleman 03-12-2008 05:03 PM

My idea would be not to entice the deer to stay on your property now and to build your food plot and use the time you have now for it to grow.

The only time you want deer on your property is HUNTING SEASON.

They will do Irrepairable damage - if left to their own devices.

4 deer will clean out a 4 acre piece of brush in about 1 month, and it will be so clean, you won't even be able to get rocks to grow there.

cowboy4513 03-12-2008 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL:and it will be so clean, you won't even be able to get rocks to grow there.

LMAO :D

mossbergman11 03-12-2008 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

My idea would be not to entice the deer to stay on your property now and to build your food plot and use the time you have now for it to grow.

The only time you want deer on your property is HUNTING SEASON.

They will do Irrepairable damage - if left to their own devices.

4 deer will clean out a 4 acre piece of brush in about 1 month, and it will be so clean, you won't even be able to get rocks to grow there.
im confused by what you mean i want the deer to regularly come to my spots im gonna plant a food plot in the spring

Rory/MO 03-13-2008 05:38 AM

food, water, and cover

kevin1 03-13-2008 05:52 AM

Attract does, if they adopt your patch as their core area the boys will come right to you in the Fall. Focus on plantingattractive native mast species, they'll keep the deer around longer than what you may be thinking of planting and won't require as much care(if any). Water is another very important consideration, is any available?

wahoohunter 03-13-2008 06:01 AM

i'm confused by what you mean i want the deer to regularly come to my spots im gonna plant a food plot in the spring
I think what he is saying is that having deer/bucks on your property during the spring and summer is not the important thing, having them there during hunting season is what you want. And, while establishing food plots will obviously produce more deer on your property once they begin to grow, the best results, by keeping the does offspring from this year, will really start to show in years to come. Also, don't be discourage if you don't see any bucks there during the summer. Bucks ranges vary seasonally and their fall and summe ranges, while they overlap, can be very different.

Check out this article, it provides some good insight:

http://www.qdma.com/pdf/MissingBucks.pdf