Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting response

Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: baiting response

ORIGINAL: bryant1

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

Around here if we see a dog chasing a deer we can shoot it, half the year at least. Public or private land. Warden or law enforcement can shoot them any time of year if they are seen chasing deer. Still fascinated by the difference in hunting cultures around the country.
Come down to north florida and i will take you on a hunt. It is a experience you will never forget, I have been hooked on it for 4 years now.
Careful, I might just have to take you up on that. I lived in Sanford, FL for a year, but never got a chance to do it. I just got back from a Texas hog hunt with some buddies of mine. Running them with dogs. I have been out shooting them before, but running them with dogs was awesome. 7 currs/catahulas baying a 200lb boar, then the pits tearing in for the catch. I could definitely get into that. Some kind of thrill rolling around in the mud trying to tie up a boar hog while trying not to let em hook ya! Man that was fun!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds fun! Not many people hunt hogs with dogs in my hunting club anymore. The timber company here wanted an eradication of them because they were destroying pine trees and spreading disease among them too. I have been promised a hog hunt with dogs from a friend in cross city during the summer so i cant wait for that. here piggy piggy piggy

Come on down i got plenty of room in my truck to introduce someone to deer dogging
Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

CWD isn't bound by climates. All it needs is a warm blooded host(s) to proliferate. It is predominant in areas that allow baiting and where penned deer or ruminates for that matter are kept in close proximity to one another. . The reason you don't see it in the north is because deer densities are usually much lighter, so one doesn't have that overcrowded, close animal to animal contact like southern climes where overpopulation is prevalent.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take the bait and toss it. Become a real hunter and learn to hunt, learn the woods, learn deer movements. I call bait hunters "Y2K Hunters", not your fault you don't know any better. Nothing like going out hunting and earning your deer the way it is meant to be.......I hunt New Jersey and 99% of the state allows baiting, and these "Y2K Hunters" kill alot of deer and then claim they are great hunters, I'm just happy the area I hunt, baiting is not allowed, and I still harvest a few bucks per year...Its called hunting
Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

Take the bait and toss it. Become a real hunter and learn to hunt, learn the woods, learn deer movements. I call bait hunters "Y2K Hunters", not your fault you don't know any better. Nothing like going out hunting and earning your deer the way it is meant to be.......I hunt New Jersey and 99% of the state allows baiting, and these "Y2K Hunters" kill alot of deer and then claim they are great hunters, I'm just happy the area I hunt, baiting is not allowed, and I still harvest a few bucks per year...Its called hunting
THEN CALL ME A "Y2K" HUNTER ( I DON'T SEE THE POINT TO CALLING THEM Y2K HUNTERS EITHER BUT I BET YOU REALLY SMART TO BE ABLE TO THINK UP THAT NAME )
Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Switchback XT, RipCord Rest, HHA OL-5500 Sight,
Carbon Express Maxima 250 Arrows, Muzzy 3 Blade 100gr. Broadheads,
T/C Omega, Leupold VX-II 3-9X40, 250gr. Sabots
Remington 11-87, Leupold VX-II 3-9X40, Lightfields Slugs
Mossberg 835 Turkey Shotgu

When you throw all this stuff away and make your own bow & arrow from sticks and rocks, and then track and stalk your prey, then you will be a REAL hunter. Dont bash someone for throwing out some corn and such to attract a deer to a particular location. I would be willing to bet that you have hunted a fields edge, or near oak trees, this is essentially useing bait because you know the deer will get hungery and come to one of these spots eventually.We try to give ourselves every advantagewe can to harvest an animal, doe pee, cover scents, etc. I would think twice before you start labeling people.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

I kill deer every year some over bait and some not and they all taste the same.So everybody should hunt how they want as long as it's legal and about the spread of desease,it's legal to bait in KY and we have'nt had a single case of CWD even though 14 states and two canadian provinces have reported cases of it and I think I read that two states near us that dont allow baiting both have CWD reports,west virginia and illinois,but not here yet,or atleast not bythe end of the reporting last year.feed them corn and kill'em all,if thats what you want to do,just keep hunting and support your fellow hunters,no matter how they hunt as long as they dont break the laws,division among our fellow hunters is the first sign of weakness and there are groups that look for our weakness to destroy or rights as outdoorsmen and women.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Dont get me wrong...I am all about hunting with what works. I have food plots, and my original post was the debate. We have had confirmed CWD cases here, and I was concerned about the ethical ramifications of my growing corn, alfalfa, clover, etc. I have hunted with dogs, usually later in the shotgun season...hell my best friend has 14 blueticks and walkers.

My disgust is that others around you just dont get the fact that dogs are hard to contain when hunting. Down here they say a day out hunting with your dogs, is another out hunting your dogs! I was on my hunting land a month after season ended tilling and burning brush, and at midnight there were 3 hounds running deer through my land. I caught one of the dogs and called the number on the collar, and the guy just said..."oh, they will come back when they are tired of running". Not everyone wants to hunt with the dogs...all of the time! Especially when Im bowhunting and setting up on a trail, I get real ticked off when hounds are chasing deer around off season.

If you raise or hunt with dogs...just respect the hunter on the land next to you. Keep them penned up while out of season, and invest with radio collars so you can locate them and get them back in the box!

My two cents! Im done!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Dont get me wrong...I am all about hunting with what works. I have food plots, and my original post was the debate. We have had confirmed CWD cases here, and I was concerned about the ethical ramifications of my growing corn, alfalfa, clover, etc. I have hunted with dogs, usually later in the shotgun season...hell my best friend has 14 blueticks and walkers.

My disgust is that others around you just dont get the fact that dogs are hard to contain when hunting. Down here they say a day out hunting with your dogs, is another out hunting your dogs! I was on my hunting land a month after season ended tilling and burning brush, and at midnight there were 3 hounds running deer through my land. I caught one of the dogs and called the number on the collar, and the guy just said..."oh, they will come back when they are tired of running". Not everyone wants to hunt with the dogs...all of the time! Especially when Im bowhunting and setting up on a trail, I get real ticked off when hounds are chasing deer around off season.

If you raise or hunt with dogs...just respect the hunter on the land next to you. Keep them penned up while out of season, and invest with radio collars so you can locate them and get them back in the box!

My two cents! Im done!
You said 3 or 4 different things there... Feed plots, CWD, cash crop fields, dogs your friends are running, no dogs allowed... What are you really saying? Food plots are OK, feeding/baiting is ok, dogs are OK, dogs are ruining things?

EDIT: sorry, I thought when you said you started the debate you were the one that started the thread. But still, what is it that you are trying to say. I really like this debate, so I really want to see some counterpoints to my statements.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

When you throw all this stuff away and make your own bow & arrow from sticks and rocks, and then track and stalk your prey, then you will be a REAL hunter. Dont bash someone for throwing out some corn and such to attract a deer to a particular location. I would be willing to bet that you have hunted a fields edge, or near oak trees, this is essentially useing bait because you know the deer will get hungery and come to one of these spots eventually.We try to give ourselves every advantagewe can to harvest an animal, doe pee, cover scents, etc. I would think twice before you start labeling people.
i agree with you there

Quick Reply: baiting response

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.