Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck hit by car today

Old 03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Bartender

Default Buck hit by car today

I was on my way home this morning from the 3rd shift about 8:45 and I see 2 deer out in the field and kind of watching them.
Then all of a sudden this deer comes hawling butt about 50 yards across the road in front of me and nails this small
little car and bounces right off. He flips about 20 feet in the air and does 3 summer sults bounces off the ground
and lays to rest. In all my years I have never seen anything like this or even a vehicle hitting a deer.
The car had some damage but not as much you would think though. This buck had to weigh around 180-190lbs
and just to see it flying through the air was incredible but sad also. I watched him take his last breath
and then had to move on. I cant imagine if he came the opposite way and I was next to that car he would
of went right through my drivers side window and off my noggin and the ceiling in my truck.
Just makes you think a bit. Anyone ever witness a deer/car collision?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM

Default RE: Buck hit by car today

I've hit 2 myself and it's never a fun site to see. And I did witness one as I was walking witha girl at the time. It was a little doe fawn and a truck hit hergoing app. 35-40 MPH. The truck broke her back and she couldn't get out of the road. I actually slit her throat (w/ the approval of a police officer b/c he didn't want to discharge his weapon in a subdivision). That was the only one of the 3 deer that I actually took for myself and ate. Anyways its always disheartening to see this happen.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was riding with my dad on our way to go hunting and we hit one about 4:30 in the morning. It happened 2 years ago. Lets just say we didnt go hunting that day. Its a scary thing when it happens in person.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

yep the one I hit a couple years ago on my way to the hunting spot. It was dark out 3 deer jumped out I stood on the brakes an clipped the last one (doe) in the rear quarter she did a couple spins hit the ground and took off running out of site. I took a doe a couple hours later.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

I hit a small yearling with the pickup on the way to go Duck Hunting. I had slugs in the pickup and was gonna finish her off...but I couldn't find here...chances are she roller her way to the cornfield...I don't imagine she lived anways...sucks doing something like that...I have ALMOST hit quite a few. We had a buck run into the side of my sisters car on our way down to Nebraska a few years ago.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:14 PM

i was fishing with a buddy of mine when he caught a beauty of an 8 1/2lb largemouth bass. he went through painstaking efforts to keep the fish alive, have it ceritified and then drive back to the very pond it was caught in to release the fish alive. on the way back a doe ran out into the boat trailer. there's no way it could have survived that collision.

as time has passed (3 years or so) my buddy bob's dayis somewhat of an urban legend legend around here...

"hey, did you hear about the dude who caught a 10lb bass and then killed a 10 point trophy buck on the same day?"

fish was release alive to fight another day, sadly same couldn't be said for the deer [&o]
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen some close calls over the years. I actually hit my first one this year after 32 years of driving. I was driving on Rt 13 outside of Harrisburg, IL. The doe came up out of the ditch I attempted to slow, move to the left, but another hunter heading home was coming up to the side of me. I slowed down enough and just caught her with my bumper. Lucky she didn't damage anything but my license plate and bracket. However I did run over her. Had to call the deputy to put her down....Illinois law. Had I been on a country road instead of a 4 lane I would have put her down myself.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

I would say I've never hit a deer, a deer hit me on my way hunting no less. I was driving out of town by the area high school and this doe came running over the hill and just ran right in to my passenger side door. My buddy was sitting in the passenger side of my truck and gave a little 'Ahhh'. The dent popped out and there was deer hair stuck to my gas lid door. I saw her run off so she might have survived.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off knock on wood, I have only hit one deer in 21 years of going hunting. THe doe I hit slipped on the road and only hit it with the bumper.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 AM

Last year a teenager in my town was going hunting on the 1st. day of rifle season befor day light and had a deer come though the windshield of his car and killed them both.Many years back a friend was on his motercycle after dark and hit one face to face ,killed the deer and broke his jaw . he had to have it wired shut.Then rebroke b/c it didn't heal right.He ate out of a straw for months.Be carefull out there.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Buck hit by car today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.