Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

Thanks for all the help so far.
I'm ruling the .300 Winny out

Keep the opinions coming PLEASE!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:42 PM

I have a whole cabinet full of guns and I love my Browning Abolt II 7mm rem mag. It will do the trick on anything you want to shoot in north america. I won a Remington XCR 7mm SAUM at an Elk Banquest a couple years ago and I have used it ever since. Finding the right bullet was the key to me liking it, since I switched to a Nosler Partition I have yet have an animal take more than a step after impact from ranges of 50 yards to over 300. The only trouble I have found with it is finding ammunition for it.

As far as hunting just hogs and deer you don't have to go that big. I bought my wife a Remington Model 7 youth model SS .260 and it will kill a hog graveyard dead without even trying hard. The key to killing hogs that I have found is shot placement. Shoot 'em in the ear and they don't go anywhere.

I love guns and have various calibers from 243 to 300 WSM and the most fun to shoot is the 260, most practical is my 7mm Rem Mag, Most used is the 7mm SAUM and most fun to own is my Savage NRA speacial edition 300 WSM.

All that to say this, if you are just going to hunt hogs and deer I would go with the 270 or 7mm. If you may go out west you may want to look into the 7mm, 30-06, or 300

This is of course my opinion and does not mean much. Hope this helps
Old 03-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Mello Collins-

Thanks for clarifying that.. im a little noobish myself.. the whole caliber vs cartidge has got me confused a bit.. the way you explained.. but nontheless ..
Old 03-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for keeping the input coming!!!!

Been looking online at different makes and models of left handed stainless/synthetic rifles....and I'm REALLY leaning towards the Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag.

I also like the looks and reputation of the Left handed Remington CDL......but I would eventually have to go to a synthetic stock and have all the metal work weather proofed...\

Anyone have experience with what it takes to have a rifle with blued steel "weather proofed" so it's more rust/corrosion resistant?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

.25-06 you can take anything from yotes to elk without bruising your shoulder. frankly, i hunt hawgs during our small game season with a .22 lr without any issues.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Another vote for the 270win, The 7mags can start to thump, and if you want some cheap ammo for practice, good luck with that. .308 win and 30-06 spr also good choices and also cheaper to shoot.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Anyone have experience with what it takes to have a rifle with blued steel "weather proofed" so it's more rust/corrosion resistant?
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR.asp

Just get the one linked here. The XCR is for Extreme weather conditions. I have had mine for 2 or 3 years now and I haven't cleaned it once, other than punching the bore a couple times. I have used it in the pouring rain and I just rub it off with a shirt or something in my truck. Awesome rifle.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

haha, I love how everyone hates expensive ammo? I understand if you're shooting ALOT of ammo! but cmon I dont shoot ALOT of ammo, how many boxes per caliber are you guys shooting a year? If you really like a certain cartridge I say buy it, if a box of ammo is 20 bucks more a box, and you shoot 1 box a year, who cares? less youre at the range each weekend shooting a box, I really dont see ammo cost being an issue. But im sure some guys shoot a ton of ammo, but then again, theyre probably reloading so who cares? and then again theyre prob not shooting 200rounds a weekend of 300 win mag etc....its .223 etc...so again who cares.

The 7mm mag just never was my gun, from what ive read to is if you handload a 270 you can basically get it to do everything a 7mm will do. same with the 30-06 that handloaders can get it close to a .300 win mag, esp with 200gr bullets. My thing with the 7mm mag, is that it will shoot 175gr but really thats a big round for that case, I think 160 or 165 is the heavy load, and i dont want to shoot an elk with a 7mm mag at 500yds with a 160gr bullet, so if you compare....7mm with 160's vs 300 win mag with 180, personally I want the 300 win mag. I kinda feel like a magnum begins with the 300 win mag. anythign less, why? get a .270 if you want something flat shooting. Also 26" barrel on a 7mm mag to shoot 160grs flatter or 140grs flat...

my view is a 270 for the non magnum stuff, or an '06 if you prefer.

Of what he said, id say any would be to consider, just not the 7mm mag, but since he said hogs and wanted something a tad heavier i said '06 or 300 mag. 270 seemed light, though im sure they make grea tbullets for it that would ge tethe job done. 7mm overrated, but the 06 and 300 mag both solid.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

haha, I love how everyone hates expensive ammo? I understand if you're shooting ALOT of ammo! but cmon I dont shoot ALOT of ammo, how many boxes per caliber are you guys shooting a year? If you really like a certain cartridge I say buy it, if a box of ammo is 20 bucks more a box, and you shoot 1 box a year, who cares? less youre at the range each weekend shooting a box, I really dont see ammo cost being an issue. But im sure some guys shoot a ton of ammo, but then again, theyre probably reloading so who cares? and then again theyre prob not shooting 200rounds a weekend of 300 win mag etc....its .223 etc...so again who cares.

The 7mm mag just never was my gun, from what ive read to is if you handload a 270 you can basically get it to do everything a 7mm will do. same with the 30-06 that handloaders can get it close to a .300 win mag, esp with 200gr bullets. My thing with the 7mm mag, is that it will shoot 175gr but really thats a big round for that case, I think 160 or 165 is the heavy load, and i dont want to shoot an elk with a 7mm mag at 500yds with a 160gr bullet, so if you compare....7mm with 160's vs 300 win mag with 180, personally I want the 300 win mag. I kinda feel like a magnum begins with the 300 win mag. anythign less, why? get a .270 if you want something flat shooting. Also 26" barrel on a 7mm mag to shot 160grs flatter or 140grs flat...

my view is a 270 for the non magnum stuff, or an '06 if you prefer.

Of what he said, id say any would be to consider, just not the 7mm mag, but since he said hogs and wanted something a tad heavier i said '06 or 300 mag. 270 seemed light, though im sure they make grea tbullets for it that would ge tethe job done. 7mm overrated, but the 06 and 300 mag both solid.
sounds like youspeak from internet vs actual experience. I'm a reloader, have owned all of the cartridges you mentionand many others. I actually have used them as well. .308 calibersis great but the .284's are as well. I like the .284 because it's flat shooting, excellent BC and SD that make it a great match for my situation be it an elk or an antelope at 500 yards if I feel comfortable in the shoot presented I'd pull the trigger without skipping a beat.

In regards to the 300wm I think it is truly at its best with 200gr bullets (when talking advantages), the fact the mass use 180< sell it a little short IMHO. It is also whyI really don't care for the 300wsm...however it fits the proto typical usage probably better! The 06 doesn't come close to the 300 with any bullets, especially the heavier for cal - 200 +. Doesn't have the case capacity to be truly effecient like the wm. One reason I like the 7mm rem mag is it has case room to support the bullet class, as an all arounder the Rem mag shows its worth with 160 - 175 gr bullets.Other .284'slike the STW, RUM and other wildcats also shine due to case room...but they require handloading.

Speaking of handloads you can make a rem mag haul as well. I can get 3000fps out of heavier for class bullets. My elk/moose load is actually a 140gr Barnes TSX that leaves the muzzle at over 3300fps. I could get more but with sub moa groups...why?? It has dropped 3 bull elk and 2 bull moose with authority. I have only recovered one bullet on bull moose where i busted him through both shoulder at maybe 50 yards. I received full penetration the hide on the opposite side held the slug from leaving, the moose fell in a heap. I have been on a number of bull moose kills and this kind of performance is all one can ever ask for...regardless of the cartridge.

Barrel length has nothing more to do with the rem mag as it does with a win mag!

Your opinion is the rem mag is overratted and mine is the 06' is as well. I have actually used both to come to this conclusion. How about you???
Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

I want to thank all of ya'll for your opinions and advice. Kinda' makes me realize that the "best" caliber out of the 3 I listed is probably........the one I have the most confidence in.....so I'll change my question up a tad.

If you had a 400 lb. hog standing broadside at 100 yards and you wanted to put a bullet through both shoulders to anchor him on the spot.....would you rather be shooting.

1. a 06' with a 165gr. or 180gr. partition

or

2. a 7 Mag. with a 150gr. or 160gr. partition

I seriously doubt if the hog would be able to tell the difference, but just curious what you folks who have more experience on the terminal performace of these 2 calibers/loads on tough animals.

Thanks again for all the input! Ya'll are really helping me to come to a decision

Quick Reply: CALIBER QUANDRY...HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.