Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will the fawn survive?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Spike

Default Will the fawn survive?

I just wanted to get some opinions on this...Last season I passed on numerous does...and actually did not harvest a doe with my bow because they all had fawns. I was just wondering if I shot a doe with a fawn or two, would they survive...some of the guys in my club said yes because they were eating corn and some said no...so what do you think?
Old 03-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Will the fawn survive?

Alot of this can be answered by letting us know where you live, what kinds of winters you have etc. More than likely by November, your fawns can pretty much take care of them selves, sometimes even earlier. Usually by Nov momma starts pushing them away anyway. Most yearlings/fawns can make it as long as theresgood food sources and good cover. Theres always a chance that a predator may take a few but thats mother natures way of controlling the herds. If I see a doe with a fawn I try not to take her, and theres nothing wrong with that at all. Its a good practice. Dont let anyone tell you youre doing anything wrong. Its how you hunt, dont change that just because Jow Blow says you should have plugged her. If I would have shot every doe with a fawn that has walked by my stands in the last 18 years of hunting, Id have to say my deer kill would be near 300-500 dear easilly.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

I'd say all will survive provided they don't have spots and are weened.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

if they were in Illinois they would be fine
Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nature provides them with the instinct they need to survive, excluding - hunters (wheather human or animals) or tragedy (vehicle collison, etc)
Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fawns don't need their mother after they have been weened/are eatong hard foodwhich is before bow seasons open up. If you notice deer activity look for buck fawns they almost all stray away from mom and many kinda go on their own traveling by themselves and do as they please and meet up with mom whenever they feel like it, typically for bed time and in the fields when mom feels its safe to come out. Fawns don't need mom after they develope a hard food diet even though they may be still drinkin milk. The only reason they stay with mom is for safety and learning how to survive. Sure the fawns may be more suseptible to getting caught by coyotes or somethign but they can survive just fine on their own. If mom dies they will move on and find a group of deer and join up with htem for safety.... So get out there and shoot some of those does. It only improves a herd when done right. WCL
Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a couple factors that could play into this equation.
Late season births and severe weather may decide who makes it through the winter.

IMHO, those deer born late (conceived in Dec, not Nov in the northern US)may have
a very diffficult time if that upcoming winter is severe.

Outside of that, I see nature doing what She can for the survival of new born fawns.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Nature provides them with the instinct they need to survive, excluding - hunters (wheather human or animals) or tragedy (vehicle collison, etc)
Good post. By late October or November, fawns should be weened from their mothers for the most part. Even if you were to take a doe with a fawn and the fawn became orphaned, chances are the fawn would have been taken in from another mature doe. Most likely a doe who didnt bear young the previous year. Does have strong maternal instincts and those who do not have fawns actually try to "steal" fawns from their mothers, for a lack of better words. Chances of the fawn wandering around by herself are slim to none. They should have no problem surviving on their own.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

A fawn is capable of being weaned at two months of age. They will continue to nurse as long as their mother allows then to, but they don't need it for survival.

As long as the fawn doesn't have spots, I will whack the doe in a heart beat.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Spike

well thats the thing...the fawns did have spots but they were eating corn...I live in louisiana and bow season opens at the beginning of october

Quick Reply: Will the fawn survive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.