Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will the fawn survive?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will the fawn survive?

Well corn isn't going to save their life either way. In fact corn was probably hard on the fawns stomach- seeing as how corn isnt the best thing for mature deer to eat (uneducated guess). It isn't very digestible to deer and doesnt offer much nutrtional value if any at all, other than maybe a few carbs.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spots or no spots the fawns will survive if you shoot the doe during the hunting season's.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

i saw Dr.Deer say that if they dont have spots they're good to go, and in most states by hunting season theyre plenty old to survive and actually some study showed that if you take the doe/mom, those fawns are more likely to stay on your property/closer than travel further away.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

The fawns likely will survive. If you are worried, the best solution may be to shoot the fawns. It is the best eating anyway.

Bob
Old 03-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Typical Buck

bow season begins on sept. 01 here in ky,and I feed infront of trail cams every year,I have killed momma deer in sept.while bambi watches,and have noticed that in a few days bambi will find a new mother and brothers or sisters and there serogate mother allows him to suck milk just like her own,then I have more happy family photo's on my trail cams.so I'm pretty sure that most fawns will survive spots or not after momma is gone,in early sept. they almost always still have spots.and like someone said kill the fawns too,they are the tenderest,I always look at them real good to make sure that they aren't bucks before I givem the muzzy.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Spike

Man...kill the fawn?...you guess are ruthless...its bad enough you have to chase them away when you go to pick up the mother.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

they should survive
Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Usually be the time hunting seasons start in most states the fawns will be fine on their own
Old 03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

Well corn isn't going to save their life either way. In fact corn was probably hard on the fawns stomach- seeing as how corn isnt the best thing for mature deer to eat (uneducated guess). It isn't very digestible to deer and doesnt offer much nutrtional value if any at all, other than maybe a few carbs.
Corn is actually very good for deer but considerations are key. The deer must be able to break the corn before it is digested so the starch can be retrieved cuz if it is whole it just passes through the deer with no nutrition, corn can't be the sole majority of their diet because it can beto muchprotien and flush their systems out and dehydrate them as well and can cause digestion problems. Corn is good for deer only if htey can get to its nutrients and is mixed into a well balanced diet among other things. WCL
Old 03-09-2008, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: hatcher88

Man...kill the fawn?...you guess are ruthless...its bad enough you have to chase them away when you go to pick up the mother.
Michigan had a bad winter this year. With that in mind, taking the fawn (if it's a female) is the best choice.The fawn has the best meat, and has less chance of surviving because of the lower body mass (heat retention in the cold). And the doe is a proven and experienced breeder, she will have another fawn in the spring, the fawn will not.

Quick Reply: Will the fawn survive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.