Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 cut hand while dressing...dangerous? >

cut hand while dressing...dangerous?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cut hand while dressing...dangerous?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Default cut hand while dressing...dangerous?

hey guys,
i cut my finger pretty bad while dressing a deer today, early on, and finished up. is there any precautions i should take? thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cut hand while dressing...dangerous?

i would go and ask a doctor, there is no reason to take a chance with any kind of disease.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soap & Water - Often and lots of it. Maybe a bacterial ointment as it starts to heal.

Unless you need stitches - not much else you can really do.If your worried about a deer having a disease - then you probably don't want to eat it either.

FH
Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer season is still open in March? Where are you hunting? You will probably be just fine. Just clean it with alcohol or peroxide. I wear surgical gloves when I clean my deer. I know this won't stop a knife from cutting you, but it will keep your hands clean. BTW, I've cut my hands many times while cleaning game and have never had a problem. I have always used alcohol to clean my cut. Let us know though if you lose your hand to gangreen caused by dangerous bacteria.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really going to feel bad if something does happen to your hand, so I take it back. I wouldn't worry too much, you'll be okay.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

I'm really going to feel bad if something does happen to your hand, so I take it back. I wouldn't worry too much, you'll be okay.
heh, no worries. thanks for the replies guys. i was hunting on a preserve in florida.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 PM

You can mix a strong solution of epsom salt and water soak to draw out any infection, but you have to do it pretty soon after the injury.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't worry much about it.My first deer i killed when i was 14,i was all by myself and my dad was back at the house,and i had never field dressed anything before.So i cut it open and reached in there and started cutting away and pulling and sliced my knuckle wide open,almost to the bone,I couldn't even see my hand for it was covered in deer blood.I wiped it off and wraped it up and went and got my dad to help drag it out.Im still here today,with the scar.I was scared of catching deer aids or something..lol.I wouldn't worry about it.Just disinfect it.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

i don't think you have too much to worry about.just keep it cleaned with peroxide and alcohol.

only person i ever heard of getting sick was a buddy that worked at a processors.he got parasites in his body and it damn near killed him before they found the problem.hes better now but won't touch a deer anymore
Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just clean the wound well and often. A topical antibiotic (like Neosporin) under the bandages would likely be beneficial. Seeing that this was a deer you're probably o.k. With wild hogs, you should always wear rubber gloves and keep disinfectant wipes handy.

Quick Reply: cut hand while dressing...dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.