Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad Genetics

Old 03-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Default Bad Genetics

The other day i saw something i didnt want to see. I seen a mature deer, with about 1ft. to 1 1/2ft. main beams (stickin straight up), with a fork on one side and a spike on the other. OK its a full grown deer with a three point rack, im praying that he didnt matewith my does. Because my friend said that he has 60 acres to hunt/manage, and he said that all his deer are diformed. He has 3yr. to 4 yearold spikes, 3 points, 5points, and buttons. I plan to take that 3 point as soon as season comes back.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad Genetics

alot of my bucks dont get passed decent sized 8 pointers no matter how many b-days you give them, a whole bunch stay small 6 pointers till 3.5 or later. If you dont manage the bad genetic deer they can take over
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Solution, Fill the freezer with them before the rut. Invite some friends with kids for some management hunts.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

the disorder is called thealabama gene, there was a lot of them like that. i would shoot anything that starts to look like him
Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most places - a problem like this is nutrition - not "bad genetics" usually.

If your area is like a lot of others in the south - then you have a lot of deer.Add to a high deer population, a couple droughty years in a row - and you have a stressed deer herd. High deer densities can lead to all kinds of problems, but usually genetics are the last to actually effect a herd's antler genetic makeup. Probably your best course of action is to take as many does as possible - and hope for some rain in 2008!

Not everyone will agree with me - trying to convince people of this is sometimes hard to do. You get 20" of Rain this summer - and that "3 point" will probably be an 8 point come fall.

FH

Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 AM

Well there was a small drought at the end of last year, but we are getting plenty of rain with all these storms we've been getting. I hope what you said about the rain is true. I would like to see some of those smaller deer turn into 8 points.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Farm Hunter. Thin the herd a little, maybe get some supplemental nutrition and see what happens. If it is the genetics, maybe he got that gene from his momma, the doe. He could have a recessive gene for perfect 6X6 racks that he could pass along if he mates with a doe who also has that gene. You never know. I would hesitate to wipe out all inferior bucks. Thin the does out first.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Spike

We have those in Texas Too

Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Hey isnt that the same background place as the Battlebuck pic??
Old 03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Spike

Sure is so is this one too. Look how thick he is, the biggest one body wise.

Quick Reply: Bad Genetics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.