Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ohio Poachers

Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 PM

Default RE: Ohio Poachers

ORIGINAL: Goodgrief

What makes me sick, is you can legally hunt deer up until February 3rd in Ohio, and I can't.[:'(] That Saltis family sounds as though they weren't tought the correct way. They all should be banished from the activity for life, after 3 years in the pokey.
To bad its bow. The only reason i'm looking at a crossbow is so i can hunt longer. You can hunt from like the end of september until the start of February with a bow. Gun is a week and muzzleloader only is a week. Its not fair imo, atleast give us shotgunners an extra week.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

It states that in Ohio you are allowed ONE deer per hunter per season. In this case 9 people killed 32 deer in a two month period while being investigated. No telling how many they killed total when they were not being watched. And they admited to doing this for several years. Along with shooting them out of season and selling the meat, which is also illegal.

And even though it wasn't mentioned I don't doubt for a minute that they were not using high powered rifles which are illegal in Ohio as well. Shotgun only in that state.

Paul
One slight correction..You're allowed one ANTLERED deer regardless of method taken for the season. Bag limits for antlerless deer vary by location.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

It states that in Ohio you are allowed ONE deer per hunter per season. In this case 9 people killed 32 deer in a two month period while being investigated. No telling how many they killed total when they were not being watched. And they admited to doing this for several years. Along with shooting them out of season and selling the meat, which is also illegal.

And even though it wasn't mentioned I don't doubt for a minute that they were not using high powered rifles which are illegal in Ohio as well. Shotgun only in that state.

Paul
One slight correction..You're allowed one ANTLERED deer regardless of method taken for the season. Bag limits for antlerless deer vary by location.
Correct, Zone A your allowed 1, Zone B your allowed two and Zone C your allowed 3.You can legally hunt up to 7 using regular deer permits and urban antlerless permits.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

At least they got caught!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

only 1 deer per hunter per season? not 1 buck and 1 doe? or only 1 buck and a few does? only 1 deer a season seems quite rough, sorry for you ohio'ians, though I don't take more than 1 or 2 a year myself, its nice to be able to take a doe and then wait for that nice buck.

As far as these poachers, if they were trespassing etc....clearly wrong, I sometiems wondered if we should just let hunters do as they please on their own land.....ie kill off the herd and then they would suffer....though I think this is why we have regs cause the avg Joe would just shoot until no more deer were left, then be angry and wondering where all the deer went?

Banning these guys for life from hunting seems like that would clearly give them the incentive to just continue doing what they have been. This is why we need stronger laws, with more discretion by judges in my opinion, give these guys a wake up call, ban them for 5 or 10years and maybe some prison time/nice fines.....then if caught again down the road, throw the book at them, give em some serious jail time, seize some stuff, fines, more serious prison time etc....
Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I need this to happen around my area there is so many of these idiots around here that shoot them cut the antlers off and leave the rest of the deer to rot man this pisses me off to no end.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

only 1 deer per hunter per season? not 1 buck and 1 doe? or only 1 buck and a few does? only 1 deer a season seems quite rough, sorry for you ohio'ians, though I don't take more than 1 or 2 a year myself, its nice to be able to take a doe and then wait for that nice buck.

As far as these poachers, if they were trespassing etc....clearly wrong, I sometiems wondered if we should just let hunters do as they please on their own land.....ie kill off the herd and then they would suffer....though I think this is why we have regs cause the avg Joe would just shoot until no more deer were left, then be angry and wondering where all the deer went?

Banning these guys for life from hunting seems like that would clearly give them the incentive to just continue doing what they have been. This is why we need stronger laws, with more discretion by judges in my opinion, give these guys a wake up call, ban them for 5 or 10years and maybe some prison time/nice fines.....then if caught again down the road, throw the book at them, give em some serious jail time, seize some stuff, fines, more serious prison time etc....
Read my previous post, Ohio has 3 different zones. Zone A you can take either 1 Antlered deer or 1 antlerless deer. Zone B which i live in you can take 2 Antlerless deer or 1 antlered and 1 antlerless. Zone C, where i hunted u can take 3 antlerless or 1 antlered and 2 antlerless. They also offer urban Antlerless permits for a total of 7 possible deer. My neighbor took 2 does and a buck, i took a doe and our other hunting partner took 3 does.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

ORIGINAL: Goodgrief

What makes me sick, is you can legally hunt deer up until February 3rd in Ohio, and I can't.[:'(] That Saltis family sounds as though they weren't tought the correct way. They all should be banished from the activity for life, after 3 years in the pokey.
To bad its bow. The only reason i'm looking at a crossbow is so i can hunt longer. You can hunt from like the end of september until the start of February with a bow. Gun is a week and muzzleloader only is a week. Its not fair imo, atleast give us shotgunners an extra week.
I believe that in Arkansas, you can bow hunt up until March 1st, I'm not for sure though, maybe one of our fellow hunters from the "Natural State" canget mesquared away on that.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

thats horrible, i hate poachers more than anything
Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

bunch of shmucks! hope they get what they deserve.
give us credible, respected hunters a badname, as well as every other aspect of hunting.. just messed up. id like to go smack them up a lil my self.

Quick Reply: Ohio Poachers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.