HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Left eye dominant (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/234357-left-eye-dominant.html)

wetpwdr53 02-24-2008 06:47 PM

Left eye dominant

My son is 17, right handed, but is left eye dominant. Due to sports etc. we haven't been able to hunt in the last few years, but hope to start again. The last time we shot trap, he shot with one eye closed. Any suggestions on hunting/shooting with this problem? thanks.

bronko22000 02-24-2008 07:07 PM

RE: Left eye dominant

Your son sounds a lot like me. I kick left footed, write left handed and shoot a rifle/shotgun/handgun left handed. But I throw and bat right handed and shoot a bow right handed. I am left eye dominant. I really don't see a problem. Let him shoot whatever from whatever side he is most comfortable with.

Ben / PA 02-24-2008 07:08 PM

Which way did he shoot left handed or right?

skeeter 7MM 02-24-2008 07:32 PM

I do everything right handed except being left eye dominat I shoot firearms and bows LH.

When younger my dad tried to train merh with a rifle b/c the limited option for lhguns but it felt unnatural for me so he quit trying. I have shot off my left shoulder/eye ever since. The only way I can shoot decently off the right sideis a patch over my left eye.

I suggest that you let your son deciede which feels better, if its right handed then he can be trained to use his weaker eye. If he's like me and lh just feels better, then let him shoot southpaw. Now a days the southpaw options for firearms and bows are better then when I was younger. Still limiting due to being a minority but most manufcaturers make LH models.

Troutman10 02-24-2008 07:32 PM

Sounds like me. I'm right handed with everything I do and was (still am) left eye dominant. I started hunting a couple years ago and use all left handed equipment (guns and bows). It was different to me, but I got the hang of it now. The only downside I would say is in buying left handed guns/bows. My arsenal is located below on my signiture. All my guns are either lefty or ambidextrous. I would tell you to have him shoot however is most comfortable or maybe even teach him to do everything right handed. Good luck!

Slapout_hunter1202 02-24-2008 07:37 PM

I am also right handed, left eye dominant. I have trained myself to use my right eye when shooting. At one time I couldn't wink with my right eye, but practiced over and over and now I can wink with both just fine. I'm also 17 so just tll him to practice all the time.

corey012778 02-26-2008 02:32 AM

I am right handed, left eye dominant. too. I can shoot with both hands. but I stay with right handed guns. like slapout I trained myself to use my right eye. many now I wear glasses and my left eye is the weakest.

hope my new glasses come in soon :eek:

Rebel Hog 02-26-2008 05:53 AM

ORIGINAL: wetpwdr53

My son is 17, right handed, but is left eye dominant. Due to sports etc. we haven't been able to hunt in the last few years, but hope to start again. The last time we shot trap, he shot with one eye closed. Any suggestions on hunting/shooting with this problem? thanks.
Just cover thePupil of the eye ( the small DOT in the center of the Iris) ......You will still have Peripheral vision in that eye, but the center of the Pupil is blocked...You will never know it's blocked, but it will make you Right Eye Dominate...

Rhody Hunter 02-26-2008 07:08 PM

i am right handed but left eye dominate. i can shoot either way but prefer left handed to shoot a gun . a bow i shoot right handed . shoot what feels comfortable not a problem for me

WYObowfisher 02-26-2008 07:37 PM

Me and my brother are both right handed but shoot left handed. From my experiance i would say not to fight it and let him shoot whatever way is more comfortable.