Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where are the Benoits?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Where are the Benoits?

I too think they are great hunters. I grew up in a town about 30 miles from them and our family deer camp was only a few miles from their house. On the last day of the season I would always stop to look at the bucks they had hanging. One day about 15 years ago I stopped and was looking at the deer and the door opened and Larry came out on the porch and invited me in for a coffee. The house looked like a whitetail museum and he was very cordual. We had a great chat and I now have a fully signed copy of their second book. I have a good friend who has hunted with them in Maine and Ontario and he says they are ethical and the real deal. Many people want to believe they are doing something wrong because of their success but I feel they are great hunters
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I think you guys need to take a serious look at their videos and see how unethical these guys are. To advocate making deer run before you shoot at them to "make deer hunting more challenging" Or to take 4 shots at a running buck after you bent your sight....."I had to compensate because I fell and bent my sight while tracking this buck."

Sorry guys, but they are extremely unethical and the last people I would call "the greatest deer hunters in North America." These guys are laughable.

Its pretty bad when a game warden tells me they have to keep an eye on them.

You are mistaken sir... they are not "Unethical" Although I do agree with your statement that they are not the greatest hunters in North America.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

I think you guys need to take a serious look at their videos and see how unethical these guys are. To advocate making deer run before you shoot at them to "make deer hunting more challenging" Or to take 4 shots at a running buck after you bent your sight....."I had to compensate because I fell and bent my sight while tracking this buck."

Sorry guys, but they are extremely unethical and the last people I would call "the greatest deer hunters in North America." These guys are laughable.

Its pretty bad when a game warden tells me they have to keep an eye on them.

You are mistaken sir... they are not "Unethical" Although I do agree with your statement that they are not the greatest hunters in North America.

So....you consider both of my examples ethical? This was what they filmed and put out there for the public. Its unethical and its a shame that people like you don't actually see this.

Sorry man, I'm not mistaken. They have hunted around me and I have seen first hand some of the things they have done.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Are there videos worth buying?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

yes their vids are worth buying. I think alot of people dont like them because the benoits can do things they cant. People who hunt by them just get pissed because the benoits can get big bucks while they get scat. The benoits repesent a time when hunting was a noble sport not the marketing scam it is today.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Lot's of people kill big buck's every single year, they just don't have to tell you how great they are.

In thier own book written by Bryce Towsley they describe some very Questionable shooting practices:

Big Bucks The Benoit Way

P. 80 "All I could see was it's back and part of an antler, I fired three quick shots and they all hit the deer" He couldn't see the vitals but opened up anyway, UNethical

Also there is reference to one of the boy's who is prone to Gatling "as Larry put's it" with his gun. This fellow was quoted "What fun is it to shoot a deer just once".....The best in America Indeed.

I would like to sit here and Quote some more rubbish but I'm going shed hunting...

You Boys have a good weekend,

Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

[/align]
[blockquote]I think its more of a regional thing here. Ive read all of the Benoit books and love every second of it. There is nothing unethical about how they hunt. It is them vs the deer. The whole "gatling" and shooting at what you can see is part of their hunting. It is not "sniping" across the bean field. They shoot at what they can see and use plenty of gun and bullet to fully penetrate the animal. They also shoot until the animal is down and never give up. They don't give up on an animal that isn't even wounded.For them the tracking never ends until they aredragging their deer out. Their style of hunting is very hard. They will take whatever shot they have inorder to help slow the animal down and leave a blood trail or kill the animal. If you have read the books you know this. If this isn't your style of hunting don't down play it. [/blockquote]
Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

So....you consider both of my examples ethical? This was what they filmed and put out there for the public. Its unethical and its a shame that people like you don't actually see this.

Sorry man, I'm not mistaken. They have hunted around me and I have seen first hand some of the things they have done.
Its unethical for me to do those things, and aparently for you also, but how do you know it is unethical for them to do them? Ethics are personal. Poor taste for the public, yes.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad someone realized that all people are / can be different.
I guess we can't talk about politics, religion or hunting now??!!

Oh yeah - were in America and there is no law saying you can't shot a deer in the hoof if you want! (sarcastic humor, my favorite - ha-ha!)

Keep in mind, here in the northern new england region, we don't have deer populations or farm country with food plots to target practice on our deer. (more sarcasm)
Tracking through thick timberwoods and jumping deer is common.
I personally have nailed 2 deer on the run and passed on dozens that I didn't think was a choice "running" shot.
In the Benoit videos there are numerous times that they passed at a buck running.
Which, to me, sounds like they must have come to the conclusion that it was not an ethical attempt?
Remember we are all males / females that "may" want to juice up the story or joke about how they got there deer??!!
The picture isn't always as clear as you may think.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me start by saying I respect the Benoits big time! They produce Big buck consistently in the Big woods, you have to give them credit for that. Until you have hunted the big woods ofMaine, NH, etc., and produce like they do I don't thinkyou havethe right to criticize. And simply stating that I heard they game wardens have to keep an eye on them w/o proof is to quote T.O, "It's Just Not Fair."

Now for the funny part. When Larry started out it was green wool and open sights. They denounced scopes and gadgets and fancy camo patterns. Now even they have fallen prey to sponsors. Camo, scopes, I even see by some of the pictures they are using different fiearms other than the old trusty pump. I guess I would do the same. LOL!!!

Quick Reply: Where are the Benoits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.