Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

All this hype about camo.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: All this hype about camo.

You know it's all about the camo!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM

To GregH....Isn't that Trebark the original (1st) camo pattern made? I never see that pattern being sold anymore.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Site Buck Guru

It is Tree Bark and they have come out with it again. Mine is over 20 years old. I'm using a new pattern now called Ultimate Camo, it is made by a guy right here on this site, his name is Diesel77. Look it up, it's the ultimate in camo that looks like bark.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, youre my hero. Im guiltyof beingacamo junkie. I own about every pattern out there as well as designing my own patterns. All camo patterns will work better than others in certain situations. There is no perfect pattern for all deer hunting situations. Being a bowhunter, I get to hunt from Sept to the end of January and wanted a pattern that worked all season.And I wanted a pattern that wasnt trying appear as a 3 dimentional picture of leaves, grass, branches, barkand absrtact images and blobs on the fabric. Im hunting againts bark, I want it to look like bark, plain and simple. This pattern just takes the detail to another level for those up close and personal encounters. Take your favorite pattern and tie the arms around a tree from a stand or on the ground, and go walk back 20 or 30 yards and take a picture of it with nothing between you and the picture. If you really want to see how it looks to deer against a tree trunk or up in a stand, convertthe pictureto a sepia tone. Deer see in dichromatic vision so color isnt as important as matching your background which is where this pattern really works if your hunting from a stand. Movement and scent will get you busted just as much if not more than being picked out because of your camo.Its after being busted by movement where our pattern will get you a better chance at being able to get a shot off, if you get seen at all. We hunted in the pattern for2 years before actually selling the camo, and tested our pattern with many other patterns, purposely moving to see what reaction deer have after they see us. Its easy and obvious to know what Im gong to say of course, but its the truth. With most other patterns, we found the deer would see us, recognize there was something in the tree that didnt look right, do the foot stompand either trot off the opposite direction or just haul %$#. With our pattern, we founda much much better chance at the deer eventually continuing with feeding, or whatever it was they were doing after taking a good look for a few seconds. When they see the bark texture in a tree it just seems to make them less nervous. The cool thing with our pattern, is in direct sunlight the pattern picks up all the silvers, grays and light colors just like real bark does. In shade, canopy or low ligh conditions it turns darker just like real bark but does not blob even at dusk. This is not the end all beat all pattern, but for "certain" tree stand and turkey situations its tough to beat.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:49 AM

DIESEL! THATS THE STUFF!!!!! I've been looking for that pattern for years since my original Trebark seen it's last day (RIP). It's the vertical in it I think is key! I'll look your product up!
Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Looks good diesel. Kind of reminds me of the Timber Ghost pattern (i think that was it) that was around about 9-10 years ago. Might consider it for those days i'm in the stand.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

Looks good diesel. Kind of reminds me of the Timber Ghost pattern (i think that was it) that was around about 9-10 years ago. Might consider it for those days i'm in the stand.
Thanks guys. The Timber Ghost pattern was a bark pattern but up close the 2 patternsare quite different. Actually, I became friends with Kevin Carlisle who startedTG last year, he is a great guy and always is willing to offer me help and advice. TG closed shop a few years ago, but Kevin now has another company http://www.covertorange.com/home.htm check it out.Covert Orangeis a paid advertiser on HNI.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah I haven't seen the Timber Ghost pattern in years, but if I recall it was on the same quality level as all the other patterns at that time...your's seems to be more photo-realistic.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody notice that in Cabela's catalog and in Field and Stream, etc when you see a picture of a guy decked out in the latest camo next to his deer, elk, bear etc the guide next to him is usually wearing jeans, a Carhart jacket and a cowboy hat? I've been pondering this one.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use TreeBark as well. It seems to be pretty effective. Plus, Dr. Leonard Lee Rue III said that it was also his personal prefernce, and well, you just cant argue with arguably the most knowledgeable deer hunter/photographer/writer/observer out there.

Quick Reply: All this hype about camo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.