Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to Deer Hunting

Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 PM

Default New to Deer Hunting

My two boys 8 & 14 would like to give deer hunting a try next season. We have about 30 acres of family property mostly pasture. About 3-4 acres wooded which lead into a large area of woods (hundreds of acres), not owned by us...............What do we need to plant between now and deer season ?? We are located in South Louisiana
Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Deer Hunting

Here in South Alabama we like to plant rye in the winter but during the summer we plant things like corn, and soybeans. The deer love it and if you plant the corn upagainst the woods and don't cut it down the deer may feel like they have more cover and venture onto your property more.

Also in the off season you can put out a corn feeder to attract them and get them used to your property.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome.. I have hunted on both of the states east and west of you.. Tx and Ms.. Sounds like you got a nice little setup there.. I think in LA it is legal to hunt over corn. If so that is probably the easist and most effective way of getting the deer to show up. In the winter time if your planning on planting I would consider Oats or winter wheat..

Are you new to deer hunting as well??
Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM

I guess you can say I'm also new, made a couple of deer hunt a few years back. This past year was the first year of hunting for my two boys, I took them on a couple of duck hunts and we done a couple of rabbit hunts on the property. My wife's uncle had cattle on the property a few years ago and he told me he would throw a little corn out and would always see deer, so I know there are deer in the area. I need to do a little work on a bridge so we can get to the back with a tractor. The recommendations you both made were what I was thinking. The link below is a shot of the site................hope it works

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=nyjj4t7f2jm3&style=o&a mp;lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5361857&cid=2D0750361483A33F!10 1&encType=1
Thanks Jr.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM

Welcome to a lifelong hook. Im in MO so i cant help you out on what to plant, sorry
Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

We usually don't plant food plots until fall. We plant winter wheat. But im in MO so i don't know if that helps you are not.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your set-up looks good. YOu should consider puting out another stand to help you with the wind direction.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since it is pretty early in the year I would consider planting some white and red clover,you could even put out some foraging oats with it.Later in the year it would be good to plant the corn or soybeans,you could also try some Bio-Logic Full Draw with some mixtures of different types of seeds...I think they have clover,rape seed,brasscus and a fewothers.Late fall is a good time for the winter wheat,or even turnips.The wheat will draw deer in later in the season and is an easier plant to grow.You may have a longer growing season down south compared to use in the Midwest and those further north.

Try a few different types of plants to see what the deer like more than others,alfalfa is a very good choice and the deer love it,milo is good for deer turkeys and other birds!.The Alfalfa will come back after several cuttings and will probably grow back a few years in a row like clover,ladino clover and some brasscus.A good food plot brings the deer in closer for younger Hunters and it gives them a better chance at harvesting a deer.