HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Homemade Stands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/231935-homemade-stands.html)

RockinChair 02-11-2008 02:41 PM

Homemade Stands

Okay, I realize that this topic was just up not too long ago, but the idea to build one just struck me today. I remember seein some of you guys post up your blinds/standswtih some instructionsand I was just wonderin if you didnt mind puttin those up again? Sorry for my lateness and thanks in advance.

virginiashadow 02-11-2008 10:03 PM

RE: Homemade Stands

You can build a stand on almost any tree that has a "v" in it or two trees that are fairly close side by side. Just nail in some 2x4's across both of the trees until you get to your desired height. You then nail in two 2x4's on either side of the trees, parallel from each other. You then make a "top" to those two parallel 2x4's, forming the bottom of your treestand. All you need then is a little fold out chair to sit down on, or you can make a make shift chair from some of the scrapwood. I used to build alot them with my buddy.

This is kind of like it:

virginiashadow 02-11-2008 10:17 PM

Coleridge 02-12-2008 06:45 AM

Be careful building stands. I try not to ever nail a support board into a tree. Nails like to pull out of trees sometimes. You can build a "lean too" that is totally self supported (for just a few more $'s). Just chain around the tree, use long bolts & wrench tight. Either way, be carefull.

Or you could get out the drill & skill saw & get a little more diligent...

virginiashadow 02-12-2008 01:10 PM

or instead of building the Eiffel Tower above, you could just cut some branches off that tree to the right and hang a stand........

RockinChair 02-12-2008 05:59 PM

Lol! That was hilarious. Thanks for the info./pictures everyone.

RuLzU 02-12-2008 08:48 PM

GUYS GREAT PICTURES. I wish everyone that passes this post, that has pictures of their own home-made stands/houses will post them here. Never gets old looking at some simple DYI projects as well as some really well-built ones.. like the eifiel tower. bring a porta potty in that thing, and a propane heater and you can live there for days on end!

texas8point 02-13-2008 05:29 AM

TCB - Taking Care of Business

Coleridge 02-13-2008 07:09 AM

Well, if you hang a stand on the tree to the right... You will cut your shooting zone by over 70% (the trees beside it would block the majority of the field). The box is outset of the treeline and you can shoot every direction.
Anyway, the Eiffel tower was built (by me) for my 9 year old son. He safely killed his first deer out of it. We sat together many joyous hours in it this year. Yes, with our propane heater:D. The stand overlooks a field with 300+ yard shot opportunity. The box offers rifle support. Which was even very helpful for my sons 50yard shot. The smile on his face was worth every minute spent on the box. And I didn't have to worry about him (or me) falling out. Iwould imaginesquirrels & coons are afraid to climb the stand in the second pic... Surely you posted it as a joke?

Some people drive corvettes, somechevetts. Some even ride motorcycles. But I wouldn’t put my kid on a bicycle in the middle of the interstate.

refross 02-13-2008 09:34 AM

Coleridge:

I would like some more stats on your tower:
What did you have in lumber $$$ ?
How long did it take to construct ?
Were you near a power supply, use a generator, or do it with hand tools?
what are the dimensions of the shelter?
did you encounter any problems?

I built a 4x8 blind (2005) so I could take my 2 & 3 year old boys deer hunting. It cost me about $300 because I was able to use lumber left over from another project. I built it in managable sizes at home and put it togeather on top of a 20 foot mound of dirt. The biggest problem I had was getting the material and tools up the mound. I had to borrow a generator to get the job done, because it was nowhere near a power supply.

It will last a lifetime, but it was hard work for a couple of weekends.

for those who maybe concerned that I take a 2 & 3 year old hunting, I do it Barney Fife style! unloaded gun with a bullet in my pocket. And the only deer I'll take would have to be deaf and blind to come anywhere near us. But its about being out with my kids, not shooting a deer.