HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer and Chickens (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/231558-deer-chickens.html)

ILbowhunter88 02-09-2008 10:30 AM

Deer and Chickens

My dad loves to raise chickens. This year we are rebuilding our chicken pen. I'm trying to get dad to build the fence a little bit bigger so it would also hold a deer or two. Has anyone heard of putting deer and birds in the same pen. Can you think of some problems.

Thanks

mossberghunter93 02-10-2008 12:30 PM

RE: Deer and Chickens

im not sure about deer and chickens but i raise chickens also

Bocajnala 02-10-2008 06:34 PM

not any problem...... buut having deer is illegal without proper permits..... my grandpa had two bucks as pets growing up, but it wont be easy to get away with....get the proper permits and make sure they have plenty of room.

hillbilly archer 02-10-2008 08:57 PM

My grandparents used to raise deer and we had 5 total. I can tell you one thing now-99% of the people have know idea how much room and proper food, water, etca deer needs. We built what I thought was a good-sized pen for our first deer, a fawn buck. It cost a couplethousand dollars using a lot of used material and took a few weeks to build. I was only 12 or 13. Looking at that pen today I am glad we know longer have deer, it truly was unsuffiecient for an animalthat will always be wild. It really is a lot of trouble and money and time consuming. We lost fawns, we had neighbor dogs always chasing them, we shot their dogs and got into it with the neighbors over that issue.

Needless to say, that whole deer raising experience made me realize that they are wild animals. Sure they can be somewhat domestic and there are people around here that have several, but in general it is a bad idea.

johnny2 02-10-2008 10:42 PM

I have goats and chicken..in the same barn with no problems..Alpines(goats)
are about like deer....

homers brother 02-11-2008 09:16 PM

Captive deer seem to be a great way to introduce wonderful diseases like CWD to the wild deer populations.

I'm not sure I'd consider a chicken-coop hunt "fair chase", either.

trophyhuntr 02-12-2008 11:30 AM

:eek::eek:wierd

WNYhunter 02-12-2008 12:06 PM

homers brother, why would you say something like that. You obviosly have no idea what you are talking about, do you.

ILbowhunter88, If you want to get a few deer go right ahead. I would not recommend keeping them with chickens as I have heard chickens carry a number of diseases. I have a few elk and enjoy them very much.

titleAndStar(258,0,false,false,"","")

homers brother 02-12-2008 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: WNYhunter

homers brother, why would you say something like that. You obviosly have no idea what you are talking about, do you.

No, probably not. I grew up on a farm. I live in a CWD area. I can google up lots of references to risks to captive deer herds through USDA/APHIS and CDC.

You've "heard" that chickens carry diseases? Boy, you ought to go into veterinary consulting with proof and advice like that! Have you ever raised any chickens?

In spite of that, I'm certain that nothing I say here will be construed productively, given your implication that I'm an idiot.

So I'm not going to bother wasting any more electrons on this topic.

WNYhunter 02-13-2008 06:27 AM

homers brother, it was my opinion about the chickens and what I have heard. I have raised more chickens than I care to admitt. And oh yea, pigs, cows, horses and now elk.

Someone here just asked a question and it seemed like you jumped all over him because of your opinion. Why do you care if he raises a few deer, thats not the cause of CWD or going to cause it.