Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anticosti Island

Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anticosti Island

ORIGINAL: Superj1975

Some would say it's just a big pen........
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
Obviously you havn't been around here long enough to understand the statement. There have been many discussions on here over the years about fenced hunting areas with the opinion of many that "I wouldn't hunt in a fenced area no matter how big it is". With the fact that the deer are on an island a long way from mainland they are basically in a big pen with the water as their fence. Maybe you understand now.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

[/align]
[blockquote]
[/align]Water is definitely not a fence...... [8D][/blockquote]
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duramax05

[blockquote]
[/align]Water is definitely not a fence...... [8D]
[/blockquote]

Usually water isn't but when the nearest land to the Island is 20-25 miles, the water is virtually a fence.............. Another thing is those deer concentratenear the beaches when the deep snow comes so I doubt its to difficult to hunt the deer there either as stated before where they shot 20 deer in 5 days.WCL
Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

My father in law is going w/ a buddy from work this year that has gone every year for the last 15 years or so. They usually slam them. I am on the waiting list and if one of the other guys cancels I will be going for the "migration" hunt in '08.. If not, definately in '09. They shoot some very nice bucks there. He has taken at least one buck scoring in the 130s+ every year there.
I think his largest was a 148.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Obviously you havn't been around here long enough to understand the statement. There have been many discussions on here over the years about fenced hunting areas with the opinion of many that "I wouldn't hunt in a fenced area no matter how big it is". With the fact that the deer are on an island a long way from mainland they are basically in a big pen with the water as their fence. Maybe you understand now.

According to your reasoning, north america is an island also. I would love to hunt Anticosti. I think it would be alot more fair than Texas.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:18 PM

You're a fool, lol
Old 02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Spike

Hi,

I have gone to Anticosti a number of times. I will be there again this Fall. What camp are you thinking about? When are you considering going?

Hunting on Anticosti is a lot of fun. For a person who hunts the northeast, Anticosti is a very different hunt. At home it is often hard to avoid other hunters. On the island you will usually be the only one within miles. It can be easy or hard. What I like is that you hunt in Septmeber and still get to hunt at home.

But don't go to Anticosti expecting giant bucks. The island is nutritionally poor and does not support big deer. In addition, every so often there is a bad winter which hits the herd and especially the bucks hard.

Anyway, if you go enjoy yourself.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should add that in our group of 12 hunters we shot 20 deer in 5 days. Our hunting area for just 12 hunters was a bit over 130 square miles. The only gunshots I heard were the 2 I took. I'll add pictures on here if I can ever figure out how to do in on here.
Don't need to go to an island to shoot that many deer. We shot 22 deer opening morning, filled all our tags.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're a fool, lol
And you're not worth the time.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Us too nick bleuer except we don't run out of tags with herd control/bonus tags. Gotta love the midwest.The 600 acre farm I bow hunt on we shot over 60 this year and 96 last year. Thats not to mention all the ones we shot on all my buddies land. They are thicker than rabbits round here.WCL