Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what constitutes a nontypical buck >

what constitutes a nontypical buck

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what constitutes a nontypical buck

Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM

Default RE: what constitutes a nontypical buck

For net typical score, wouldn't you have to deduct the non-typical point?

Shultzy's example of the 170 vs 180 didn't make sense. If it scored 180 non-t, with 10" of junk, wouldn't the net typical score then be 170 minus the 10" for 160?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 AM

when yousee a deer that has horns going everywhere and you say s.o.b. then its a goodun..
Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 AM

ORIGINAL: swamp rooster

when yousee a deer that has horns going everywhere and you say s.o.b. then its a goodun..
lol now that is what im used to doing when i see a "real nontypical".. this thread has been extremely helpful. thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

For net typical score, wouldn't you have to deduct the non-typical point?

Shultzy's example of the 170 vs 180 didn't make sense. If it scored 180 non-t, with 10" of junk, wouldn't the net typical score then be 170 minus the 10" for 160?
Yep, my bad waiting for a gift!! The net typical should be 160" instead of 170" like I said before. Sorry about the screw up, had a brain fart! Good catch!!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

I was lucky enough to kill a buck with this problem. I can't remember exact measurments but The score was like 146 as a non-typ and 118 as a typ. Something like that, anyways what I was told by the scorer was for a deer to qualify as a non-typ it has to have at least 15" of non-typ inches. Right or wrong, thats the story I got. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM

At one time there used to be a "rule-of-thumb" of 10% - meaning ifthe final score was increased by 10% if it was measured as a non-typical, then it went into the NT ranks. This, however, went by the boards long ago.

Today its up to the owner to decide where it should be entered. Personally, I prefer typicals over NTs, so if I had a rack that qualified under both standards, I'd enter it as a typical.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ie: I shot this buck a few years ago, he got a typical score as per usual and was hammerred pretty good in terms of net. I knew he wouldn't make B&C all time (book) either way, I just feltNT was the right placing.

FWIW I had him scored by 2 official scorers at horn show and scoring events. They both did as well, without input from me.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

What classifies a buck as a Non-Typical is how it is scored. First off, it ( obviously) has to have a certain amount of irregular points. With the Buckmaster scoring system, there must be at least 10% of the total rack in irregular points. In all scoring systems, there is a catagory for abnormal points. In B&C for example, say you have 12 1/8" of abnormal points. You first score the rack as a " Typical", then do all the deductions as normal. When you get that score ( let's say 160), you go back and add the total amount of abnormal points, and that is your " Non-Typical" score ( 172 1/8). If your buck has a high enough score to be entered as a " Non-Typical" ( 180 BC), you can enter him in that catagory. If not, those non-typical points are now deductions from your typical score. After deducting ( 160 - 12 1/8 = 147 7/8 ), if he is still high enough to make the typical book, then he is catagorized there. In the Buckmaster Scoring system, there are NO deductions, but no " Inside Spread" credit either. Your bucks totalinches ofantler would be his score.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Site Buck Guru

For a buck to qualify as non-typical it needs only 1" of abnormal points. It changed to this several years ago from 15" (I think). An abnormal point is not the extra point on a 7,9,11, etc point buck. It is a point that can be a fork, drop or any point not veiwed as typical. It can come from the base, off another tine etc. It has to be at least 1" long.

The minimums are: P&Y 125 typ 155 non-typ
B&C 170 typ 195 non-typ

B&C also has modern hunter records where 160 typ and I believe 185 non-typ will qualify for one recording period.

As someone else had mentioned, I would enter the buck in the category that it fit best. Usually, 1" of abnormal points doesn't make a very good non-typ, in my eyes.

I hope this helps
Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, B&C has changed their minimum scores.
Typical-160
Non-Typical-180

Quick Reply: what constitutes a nontypical buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.