Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what you think?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what you think?

What you think about this?
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/crowded-county-opens-fire-on-deer/20080130085509990002
Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what you think?

Its nothing but good. Those deer are way outta check and need to be thinned. Makes for a healthy herd, less incidents with people and cars, and provides meat to people in need. All good. WCL
Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only thing I don't get is that they think 60 deer is the right amount for that area yet they are only killing 150 of the suspected 300-400 deer. If they think there is atleast 300 why not kill more like 200-250. Would make more sense because there is gonna be that many more fawns in the spring and the number is gonna be right back up there at 250-300 deer with the kind of numbers they plan on shooting. WCL
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like they need to cull all those animal rights people, that school teacher; doze a few buildings, and give those deer some room to breath! JJ

Best way to thin the herd, and its great the meat goes to good cause.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Jersey and there are a few places like this. I live by a collage that probally about 10 sq miles and the is tons of deer. They even manage feilds for the deer. They don't do food plots, but do keep feilds cut that keeps the grass short and green. There are even sections way in the middle of the woods that are cut. These feilds are full of deer at night. The herd is still strong, we see nice bucks all the time. It does need thinning out though. There are tons of does. I don't know if the will ever do a hunt since it is a school.

I kind of think you are suppose to shot what ever you see, no picking and choosing.
But, there is no guy over your shoulder say, you got to shot that one.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think its fine. The only ones complaining are the IGNORANT ones. There is a group of trained hunters that hunt the appalachain trail for feral hogs too.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 PM

Anybody read the responses to the article? Some misinformed people. I agree they should kill more.If they think the land can sustain 60 deer, they should kill all but about 30. They'll have to come back every year.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Spike

We have in-city bow hunts in both Superior and Duluth in the fall. You can get additional doe tags at the court houses by showing them your bow liscense. They give you a map of certain areas and off you go. We have had it for a few years now and still see deer and a few sneaky old bucks that stay in the residential areas but they're not as thick as rabbitsanymore!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 PM

I'd like to know what it takes to be a "specially trained hunter" ?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 PM

I agree with doing this. I can take you down a road in our area on any given night and see dozens of deer. They threw houses up so quick in this area that the wildlife has nowhere to go. People complain about all their plants being eaten, and deer scaring them when they walk to their cars in the morning. The deer have learned to stay off the road for the most part though. You dont see too many collisions. Even there were a bunch of collisions, it wouldnt do much damage because they have gotten where the deer arent any larger than a big dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.