Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Homemade Battery Operated Deer Scent Fans... >

Homemade Battery Operated Deer Scent Fans...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Battery Operated Deer Scent Fans...

Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Homemade Battery Operated Deer Scent Fans...

I wanted to share this with forum members and see what you guys think. I converted an Oust fan to blow out doe urine.
You can view my instructions at: http://techdeerhunter.blogspot.com/2008/01/homemade-battery-operated-scent-fans.html

Any thoughts?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Homemade Battery Operated Deer Scent Fans...

Very good idea. Iam going to make one as well and give it a try at my plots. Let you know next December
Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 PM

should be a good deal. Hope it works well for you.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

Woah.. thats semi-genious.
I dont think id like to keep it in the woods all the time though. I think i rather perhapps disconnect the battery and re-insert as im in the woods. this was it works... and the deer dont get used to it.. any thoughts on that?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great I dea but I agree with ckrimits. You dont really want to leave it in the woods constantly. Disconnect the battery and take it out with you when you go. Just like scent wicks. But your idea is brilliant. Now to come up with your own design to make a 1-2 ounce bottle screw right into it, with a battery, and an on/off switch. If you can do it I will field test it for you at no cost and give you all the details. Ohh yea once you begin selling it I want 15% of all sales since my idea is to improve your idea Ohh yea and make it available in 2-4 different camo patterns.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM

I put them out Oct 1 - Dec 15 here in Georgia which is the pre, rut, and post rut. Basically when bucks start scraping. As for making my own, I don't think there would be a large enough market plus Oust really makes a nice device for $8.00.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: techdeerhunter

I put them out Oct 1 - Dec 15 here in Georgia which is the pre, rut, and post rut. Basically when bucks start scraping. As for making my own, I don't think there would be a large enough market plus Oust really makes a nice device for $8.00.

What exactly did you have to do to get that Oust smell oy of the unit? Is that thing some sort of wick itself? Great idea
Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 PM

I guess you could call it a wick. I call it more like a membrane. See it sticks in the Oust fan. Picture below. I washed it out and the container with water a bunch of times then over 3 days, I kept soaking in water and soap. Then I ran doe urine through it for a 2 days and then put it out. It took a lot of work. Does anybody else know how to get rid of the good smell?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try sterlizing it. Boil it for about 15-30 minutes wiht water and 1 part peroxide and 1 part baking soda. this may help. Not 100% sure though.
ORIGINAL: techdeerhunter

I guess you could call it a wick. I call it more like a membrane. See it sticks in the Oust fan. Picture below. I washed it out and the container with water a bunch of times then over 3 days, I kept soaking in water and soap. Then I ran doe urine through it for a 2 days and then put it out. It took a lot of work. Does anybody else know how to get rid of the good smell?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM

In NS Can in 2007 they baned naural animal scents while hunting, guess the Gov thinks there scents work.