Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 mineral stations in wooded areas >

mineral stations in wooded areas

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

mineral stations in wooded areas

Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 AM

Default mineral stations in wooded areas

All i have are woods to hunt there are no fields for food plots. Do you think that i would benefit from putting in a few mineral stations in the woods. If so what products do you recomend , do you keep them up all year round , and would i benefit from hunting close to these stations.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mineral stations in wooded areas

Yes sir, mineral stations will work in the woods. I'd recommend finding an old stump or something and scraping out a little area around it and putting your mineral supplements there. As far as what to use, we've had great success with Whitetail Insitute's 30-06, we start pouring it out in the early spring and the deer tear the ground to pieces trying to find more and more of it. I think 30-06 is one of the best on the market as the protein helps increase the doe's ability to lactate, thus producing more milk and a stronger survival rate amongst the fawns. Of course, I'm sure there are other mineral supplements out there (Lucky Buck, perhaps?) I just tend to reallllly trust the people at the Whitetail Institute.

As far as hunting near the stations, deer will not continue to eat on some mineral supplements during the hunting seasons (I only speak for VA of course), but if you have one that they will eat on then you would definitely benefit from hunting near it. However, that brings up another question as to whether you find it ethical to hunt where you have been providing food for the deer.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Spike

You may want to do a search on "mineral" in here. Also, check out the qdma website for articles as well. I'm under the impression (don't have the experience just yet) that it's beneficial to have mineral sites on your property to aid in antler growth and doe lactatacion. I don't think it will have near the impact of quality food plots year round, but it can't hurt.
Also, they say now is the time to put them out. That way the deer already have all their minerals stocked up when antler growing/fawing season starts. Almost everyone I've talked to agrees the deer activity at these sites goes way down after summer.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM

Yes I would put some out and keep them going year round. I just buy my own at the feed store and mix them up.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

A plain old white salt block is good to use and the Deer love it,I also use the hard feed blocks and the Apple Flavored Buck Jamto pour on top of the feed block.I also put out some Super 12 mineral on the ground and touch it up throughout the year!We are not allowed to put any bait or feed 10 days before hunting season and during hunting season and all feed or bait has to be removed!The minerals like Salt,C'mere Deer,Whitetails Institutes 30-06 can be left on the ground since they are minerals.We plant food plots on our Farm so the only thing I've been putting out is the minerals for the past 5 years,or the Buck Jam on the feeed blocks when I want to get a few pic's of the Deer during the off-season.

*Note
Be sure to check the Game Laws in your specific State so you don't get in trouble.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Spike

A good way to start a lick is take a 50lb block and cut it in half. Dig a hole and clear the debri away within a 2 ft circle. Put the half block in the hole and cover it all except the top. Put a little cor over the site to help the deer find it faster. After this is eaten then I put the hole 50lb block in. I use this year round to help antler growth and give extra supplements. Remember salt is just an attractant. You want minerals and supplements.
Loman
[email protected]
Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

50 lbs Di-Calcium Phosphate, 50 lbs of Mineral Salt, 50 lbs of dried Molasses. Best there is and the Di-Calcium Phosphate improves the herd. Helps with lactating mothers and the racks on the bucks. Its cheaper than anything you buy by pure volume and you can get the materials at your local Tractor Supply Store.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use 50/50 mixture of loose trace mineral salt and Di-Cal. Dig a hole if preferably a sandy clay type soil about a foot deep and 3 feet in diameter, pour in the mixture, dig in some of the dirt you dug out and they will come.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Freaky picture,,,,,,,,,But I like it.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just about the same as Louddrummer and timbercruiser, Trace Mineral Salt/Di-Cal Phosphate/Salt. Bought at the feed store you've got a few years worth with less $$ spent than a small bag of name brand stuff. Been using it for 3 years now and we've got some craters from the deer hitting them.

May have to add the molasses this year though.

Quick Reply: mineral stations in wooded areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.