Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How old

Old 01-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How old

a poor 2.5 yr old
Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 125py

a poor 2.5 yr old
Agreed,a real young 2 1/2 old. Prolly a late fawnof his year class.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

2.5 without a doubt
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

i think he's a little to wide to be 1.5 my guess is 2.5
Old 01-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm undecided, lol.....at first glance i'm thinking 2.5 without a doubt , but then if you look at it, it does have charateristics of a 3.5 yr. old.....

The 1½-Year-Old Buck (Yearling)
It is often said a yearling buck resembles a "doe with antlers," which makes it relatively easy to discern. The 1½-year-old buck will not develop the swollen neck and muscular characteristics of older bucks. These bucks tend to have thin hindquarters and long, thin legs. Think of a teenaged boy, not yet reaching full height and not nearly "filled in."

Almost all yearlings have an antler spread less than 13 inches. These "teenagers" have not learned to be as secretive as their older associates are, so they often enter food plots earlier than older bucks and tend to be in the vicinity of doe family groups. The average size of a buck's antlers doubles between 1½ and 2½ years of age, so it is a good decision to let a yearling buck grow at least another year.

The 2½-year-old group is more difficult than yearlings to judge. The majority of this age group still have antler spreads inside the ears, but some individuals may produce a good set of antlers. During rut, this age class produces a limited amount of neck swelling due to muscle development, and the waist, or area just in front of the back legs, is relatively thin. Their hindquarters are much more filled in than the yearling's, but their legs appear to be "long and lanky." This age class has lots of growing to do before reaching full maturity, so it is best to let them grow at least another year. Their racks are only about 60 percent of the size they will be at 5½ to 6½ years.

3½-Year-Old Buck
The ability to distinguish 3½-year-old age group is important to a management program emphasizing harvest of mature-aged bucks with maximum antler development. During the rut, the buck's neck is thickly muscled, yet there is still a distinct junction between the neck and shoulders. Some biologists compare its look to that of a well-conditioned racehorse.

The chest region may begin to appear deeper than the hindquarter area; inside spread of antlers typically is at or outside the ears. These bucks can develop impressive antlers, especially on well-managed properties in productive habitats; they are easily mistaken for "mature" deer. In reality, they have reached only about 75 percent of maximum antler development.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

looks like a 2.5
Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Spike

there a good chance that he is 1.5. coming out of illinois got good blood. he got good feed and not overly big body.this time of year hes not going to have a swollen neck.i have a yearing buck bigger body than him alot of guys think his 2 but hes not. 16in spread 8pt. i'm not say he can't be 2.5 but you can't say with out a doubt hes 2.5. i have seen alot yearing with bigger racks some up over 200in. just what i think
Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Nature_Nut

there a good chance that he is 1.5. coming out of illinois got good blood. he got good feed and not overly big body.this time of year hes not going to have a swollen neck.i have a yearing buck bigger body than him alot of guys think his 2 but hes not. 16in spread 8pt. i'm not say he can't be 2.5 but you can't say with out a doubt hes 2.5. i have seen alot yearing with bigger racks some up over 200in. just what i think
Not possible.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

2/1/2 year old that could turn into something good in 2 years!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Spike

hey schultzy i can see you not around deer very much.so before you go and tell me that things not possible. and call me a lier.i think you need to do your homework! whitetailsquest.com under buck listing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.