HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   pics of the dead deer i found (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/228417-pics-dead-deer-i-found.html)

mossbergman11 01-21-2008 06:00 PM

pics of the dead deer i found

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=deerpics.jpg

chuckclear2000 01-21-2008 06:39 PM

RE: pics of the dead deer i found

That stinks, looked like he may have been really nice in a year or so.

mossbergman11 01-21-2008 06:41 PM

yeah im gonna try to clean up the skull and keep the rack
should i use borax and water and boil the water?

vmartin 01-21-2008 06:42 PM

cool, cut off those antlers and make a rattlin set

mossbergman11 01-21-2008 06:43 PM

cut em off? i am gonna use sheds that i find for those. how u make rattlin antlers?

nick_bleuer76 01-21-2008 08:18 PM

Can't hurt to have 2 pairs!

farm hunter 01-21-2008 08:29 PM

how u make rattlin antlers
ya take 2 antlers - & rattle 'em:D

Borax & Water - Yes -then dry and apply a peroxide solution (paste if you can find it) - 20% I was told - from hair solon suppliers. Don't use Bleach - degrades the bone.

FH

GTOHunter 01-21-2008 09:34 PM

As nice of a mount that is on that Deer I would do a European Mount from the entire skull.

texas8point 01-22-2008 04:13 AM

I'd like to see the finished product when you finish it.

vmartin 01-22-2008 05:46 AM

do what ever ya like mossbergman11 they would go good as a mount too. and you question about how to make rattling antlers: cut off the brow tine, either tie a 2'-2.6' rope around the bases, or drill a hole near the base and loop it through/tie it off.

Gundeck 01-22-2008 06:35 AM

That is a shame. Any indication how it died? Good luck with the skull.

mossberghunter93 01-22-2008 02:34 PM

cool he had a lot of points for smaller lookin beams

mossbergman11 01-22-2008 05:12 PM

im not too sure how he died i saw him in youth season and shot at him from 50-60 yards and missed by a mile (not trying to make excuses but i misjudged the yardage at the time and remingtion sluggers only go to like 40 yds before they drop) i saw no blood trail whats so ever and looked for a real long time. my guess is got shot by someone went on our land and couldnt find em. i couldnt tell the yotes found him

mossbergman11 01-22-2008 05:14 PM

so should i boil the water with the borax?
sorry to get off topic but when is a good time to use rattling antlers? and how do i use thme?

texas8point 01-23-2008 05:56 AM

Boil the water with liquid dish soap and get the meat loose, then power wash the skull. Whe the skull is clean, make a paste with borax and peroxide and paint it on the skull. Leave the paste on 24 - 36 hours and rinse.

Canuck33 01-23-2008 10:37 AM

Full euro is a pain on one you didn't kill. I would do a half euro, whack off the top from the front of the nose through the bottome of the eye sockets,flesh it out, boil it 2-3 hours and whiten if you like, I prefer to keep the skull it's natural color looks mean and lean

mossbergman11 01-23-2008 04:41 PM

canuck33 can you send me a picture of what that half euro looks like? i don really understand what your are saying

VT Outdoorsman 01-23-2008 06:11 PM

Interesting knob on that one antler.

mossbergman11 01-23-2008 06:27 PM

yeah it is. is it good that he is out of my herd?

mossbergman11 01-23-2008 06:29 PM

i will send some more pics once i get our digital camera back it looka better now but im not done. i left it outside and crows got a lot of the fur picked off but also hurt the skull a little bit

Western MA Hunter 01-24-2008 11:30 AM

nice little set of horns on him
too bad

MarquetteMagnum 01-25-2008 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

im not too sure how he died i saw him in youth season and shot at him from 50-60 yards and missed by a mile (not trying to make excuses but i misjudged the yardage at the time and remingtion sluggers only go to like 40 yds before they drop) i saw no blood trail whats so ever and looked for a real long time. my guess is got shot by someone went on our land and couldnt find em. i couldnt tell the yotes found him

What time of year did you find him and when was this ( youth hunt). 50-60 yards missed by a mile???? 40 yards don't drop much, you sure that isn't your dead deer?

mossbergman11 01-25-2008 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: MarquetteMagnum

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

What time of year did you find him and when was this ( youth hunt). 50-60 yards missed by a mile???? 40 yards don't drop much, you sure that isn't your dead deer?

im almost positive there were other youth huntiers around there and me and my dad looked for over an hour to find anything to make sure i didnt hit it.
well youth season was 14 and 15 of november i dont remember when i found exactly but i was oon christmas break so im guessing december 20 ish???
when i found it the organs were hanging out and it didnt even smell and i could see that he was earing my corn because there was partillay digested corn all over

MarquetteMagnum 01-26-2008 08:33 AM

Well, I guess you got him after all then. Its sad to find dead deer gone to waste, but you have a special bond with this deer so a good Euro mount will be nice. Get out there and Practice with that slug gun. 40-50 yards you should be hitting the same hole,How old are you?

mossbergman11 01-26-2008 05:22 PM

im 15 but im pretty sure i didnt hit it. i asked my dad about it and he is not to sure either and i was kinda sad and mad and he told me nothing goes to waste in the wild which made me fell bettter. by next season i will be able to to hit a hole through a hole at 50 yards i can assure you of that.

MarquetteMagnum 01-26-2008 05:36 PM

Well put down the X-box and get your hands on the old 22 ( cheap ammo ) and start shooting. Be ready and zooned in. And if I remember right your a Bow hunter as well? And you haven't ever killed a deer? Your bow is going to be the hardest thing to use when the moment of truth comes, I promiss you that! Be the killer I know you can be!!!! Pretend your Master Chieff 117, taking on the whole Covenant Fleet, And then the Flood,Shoot all of them and Save Earth.... Sorry went off on a Halo bit....

mossbergman11 01-27-2008 07:38 AM

Pretend your Master Chieff 117, taking on the whole Covenant Fleet, And then the Flood,Shoot all of them and Save Earth....
what does that mean? i dont got an xbox just a computer and old nintendo 64

mossbergman11 02-09-2008 06:43 AM

here is a picture of it now

MarquetteMagnum 02-10-2008 12:45 PM

That doesn't look verry good buddy. What happend to the bone around the eye socket? To finish your process a little quicker, try puting the head into a bucket of water and leaving it there about a month or so. You will have to keep it submerged and out of danger ( from dogs and coons ) Parasites will form in the water and finish the job for you, its called masicration. very smelly though.

texas8point 02-11-2008 05:49 AM

That doesn't look like any head I've ever boiled and prepared for a skull mount ! I still like the rack........but I'll be surprised if the skull ever looks white.

mossbergman11 02-11-2008 08:50 AM

yeah i know somwthing got into our garage and took it and i found it a couple days later looking like this