Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Packing in to hunt whitetails. >

Packing in to hunt whitetails.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Packing in to hunt whitetails.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Packing in to hunt whitetails.

I was curious to know how many of you guys pack in for the day to hunt whitetails or hike in more than a mile on solo hunts? And if so how do you go about getting your deer back to the pickup?

Thanks for replies.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:45 PM

Default RE: Packing in to hunt whitetails.

Quarter them up and pack them out.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Me, my dad and my uncle were over four miles back one hunt. well about two miles from the nearest road but we walked over four miles. Had we shot a deer, we would have just quartered it out, and cut the backstraps to. carried it out between the three of us. I had a shot on a big doe, but passed it up, I didn't want to have to do all the work haha.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Game cart!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:03 PM

I have hunted bear and whitetails in the Boundary Waters Canoe area in northern Minnesota. You cannot use anything with wheels or a motor. Some hunts we have been 2 days from the nearest road. We quarter the animal and then cut it up into to manageable pieces and store in plastic containers with dry ice. Lots of work but more than worth it!

Todd
Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: IntroC

I was curious to know how many of you guys pack in for the day to hunt whitetails or hike in more than a mile on solo hunts? And if so how do you go about getting your deer back to the pickup?

Thanks for replies.
Now I am wondering how to answer this question.

When I was a kid, we hunted in State Game Lands and were not allowed to drive in, so it was a 3 mile walk back to where we hunted.

When we did get something, we got out a rope and broke a piece of wood for a handle and dragged our deer out of the woods.

One year - after they logged it, My dad and I shot a 12 point buck down in the tree tops and my idea was to take it out like the indians did. We tied it to a pole and carried it out of the woods on our shoulders.

After that, dad and my other family members did not return, because they felt that it was too far back in and it was ruined because they cut all the trees down and the deer changed their patterns.

Where I shot my first buck back in 1978, I made a stand out of a couple of rocks to sit on next to a crookerd old tree that the loggers left behind.

I believe that I shot 7 bucks out of 9 years that I sat there, and took them all out of the woods by myself!

Then dad and my brothers came back and dad bushwacked me and sat above me and cut the deer off before they came to me and then I had to look for another place to hunt.

I was always back to camp - with my deer by 10 AM!

3 mile drag and 5 mile drive out of the woods.

Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:07 PM

John Wayne said in the movie - The Cowboys - slap some ham on a bisket and saddle up - were burning daylight.

If you remember the Duke, one of his other sayings was -
"Get r Done boy! Get r done!"