Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Massive Deer Feeding Mission in Colorado >

Massive Deer Feeding Mission in Colorado

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Massive Deer Feeding Mission in Colorado

Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Massive Deer Feeding Mission in Colorado

ORIGINAL: Marko B

ORIGINAL: kevin1
A state known for CWD is proposing gathering their elk herd(cash cow) around feeding sites for some nose to nose contact? Yeah, that's a great idea...
Arguments that people make against feeding are just so boldfaced rediculous it's funny.
The state of NH gives reason why feeding deer is not in their best interest.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife/Wildlife_PDFs/More_harm_deer_brochure.pdf

Also:

The Wildlife Management Institution is against it.
Asare the states of Maine and NY.

That information can also be found at the NH Fish and Game website.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

A state known for CWD is proposing gathering their elk herd(cash cow) around feeding sites for some nose to nose contact? Yeah, that's a great idea...
Are you telling me that Elk don't already congregate naturally in the winter?

ROFL...

Arguments that people make against feeding are just so boldfaced rediculous it's funny.
I simply see no reason to add to an existing problem. Good gawd, whatever did those poor elk do before we came along? Oh, that's right, they starved by the hundreds every year the way nature intended to keep their numbers under control.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you telling me that Elk don't already congregate naturally in the winter?

ROFL...

Marko, the maths not to hard to on this one.Deer and elk do herd up in the winter naturally, naturally beingthe key word.They break up into groups and the size of the groups often dictated by the amount of food available.

Throw an unnatural food source into the mix and you got abnormally large numbers of animals congregating in a much smaller area.We have a guy out here with 80 acres of CRP behind his house nobdy deer hunts.While we were seeing 5to 20deer bunched up feeding in natural locations this guys got 40 or 50 in his yard every night of the week at the pile of corn he puts out.

20 deer feeding in a 80 acre corn field compared to 50 deer feeding in a 20 ft circle, do the math, its self explanatory.Whos more likely to have direct contact?

Another thing that was interesting is they dont stay in the same group, I put trail cameras over the guyscorn pile for 2 weeks, many of the deer, escpecially the bucks would only show up once, maybe twice, the rest of the time theyd be offthe property feeding with the other herds of deer in the area.So if the bait sites contaminated with CWD these deer are then carrying it off to the other scattered bunches in the area, it doesnt stop with the ones regularly using thefeed pile.

I spent 4 months watching the deer in this area this year and trying to keep track of various bucks, even when theyre herded up theyre very social animals and do travel.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Texas has more feeders, breeder pens, high fenced hunting operations, northern influenced deer genetics imported, bait taken deer etc than any other state and still has not a single case of documented CWD.

Trust me, they are looking for it... hard.

All of that really blows all the arguments against feeding out of the water.

That... and the fact that CWD really isn't the boogieman that everyone thought it was...

I mean... "don't feed deer in the winter because it is bad for them?"

Honestly?

I can find you scientists who believe that bigfoot mates with the loch Ness monster.

Odds are they went in to their study with a hypothesis already and curbed their findings accordingly.

What's the fear if they don't feed them? They are going to die...
And if they do feed them? They are going to die...

Seems to me, starvation is a heck of a lot less of a hypothetical.

No food = starvation...
Old 01-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texas has more feeders, breeder pens, high fenced hunting operations, northern influenced deer genetics imported, bait taken deer etc than any other state and still has not a single case of documented CWD.

That... and the fact that CWD really isn't the boogieman that everyone thought it was...

I mean... "don't feed deer in the winter because it is bad for them?"

Honestly?

I can find you scientists who believe that bigfoot mates with the loch Ness monster.

Odds are they went in to their study with a hypothesis already and curbed their findings accordingly.

What's the fear if they don't feed them? They are going to die...
And if they do feed them? They are going to die...

Seems to me, starvation is a heck of a lot less of a hypothetical.

No food = starvation...
You certainly have the right to your beliefs, but they're all just your personal opinion....no facts.
Do you feel that states like NH, Maine and NY are misleading us on purpose with their statements?
If your answer is yes, why?

Specifically why would my state (NH), a state that sets the number of deer allowed to be taken, a state that tells me when I can hunt, where I can hunt, what sex I am allowed to shoot, what weapon I am allowed to use...all these decisions made in the best interest of the deer.

Why would they tell me not to feed the deer if it wasn't in their best interest.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your logics quite flawed, it would be the same as me saying since Iowa doesnt allow baiting and discourages feeding ad we havent had an outbreak of it it proves only states that allow baiting have it, its simply not true, all it means is it hasnt made it to that state yet.Youve essentialy blown nothing out of the water.

Secondly, it dosnt have to be CWD, thiers a lot of nasty stuff that can kill deer thats transmitted by close contact, your saying its not true just doesnt mean a whole lot in the face of all the evidence to the contrary.

And third, one bad winter means a years worth of winter killed deer, CWD and other outbreaks means a year round illness killing deer, they can recover from one bad winter, Id recomend you read up on prions and how hard they are to get rid once theyre in the area, theyre not confined to deer, they can live just about anywhere untill picked up by a host and then be passed on.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

You certainly have the right to your beliefs, but they're all just your personal opinion....no facts.
Do you feel that states like NH, Maine and NY are misleading us on purpose with their statements?
If your answer is yes, why?

Specifically why would my state (NH), a state that sets the number of deer allowed to be taken, a state that tells me when I can hunt, where I can hunt, what sex I am allowed to shoot, what weapon I am allowed to use...all these decisions made in the best interest of the deer.

Why would they tell me not to feed the deer if it wasn't in their best interest.
Yeah I really do. It's because that is their hunting preference for their pre-decided department ethics. It's the same reason that some states have antler restrictions. The same reason some states don't allow baiting bears.

I understand their logic behind the argument. Being close does help spread a disease. Baiting makes deer get close. Of course they don't think about all the other times deer come into contact with one another... the fact that they run in 5 or 6 deer doe-fawn groups and up to 6 or 7 buck groups during the summer and are constantly gaining and losing members...

It really doesn't make a hill of beans difference. Deer density is really the major contributing factor, because they are going to get close anyway. (It's going to be easier for someone in New York to catch an illness than someone in rural Iowa even if everyone in the small town eats at the same cafe)

Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty sure the state fish and game departments of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado have been feeding elk and deer for decades now on their winter ranges. It is not a new thing. I guess the states of NH, Maine and NY (where there are no elk) know alot more about it though. When people moved in to the valleys and build fancy houses, etc. there were no longer the normal wintering grounds for the elk and deer. The meadows are cut for hay for cattle long before the snow falls. As far as density, they count those elk herds in their winter ranges in the thousands not in 40's and 50's. It takes a lot more than a pile of corn to feed them.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: npaden

I'm pretty sure the state fish and game departments of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado have been feeding elk and deer for decades now on their winter ranges. It is not a new thing. I guess the states of NH, Maine and NY (where there are no elk) know alot more about it though. When people moved in to the valleys and build fancy houses, etc. there were no longer the normal wintering grounds for the elk and deer. The meadows are cut for hay for cattle long before the snow falls. As far as density, they count those elk herds in their winter ranges in the thousands not in 40's and 50's. It takes a lot more than a pile of corn to feed them.
Agreed, as Imentioned at the start of this. I doubt that there are very few large valley in the Rockies that doesn't have man's development in it. That's why groups like the RMEF is constantly working toprotect large tracks of winter range for the wildlife before developers fillthem with houses.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:54 AM

we run into this issue in eastern canada quite often,once in a while a harsh winter takes a large toll on the deer and moose,and we have to suffer thru 5 years of alow to moderate size herd. usually there are area's or pockets with more animals,where locals have taken upon themselves to supplement feed.
it would be nice to have some studies done,and results on the effects of supplementing food in harsh winters,i can't find much thru google searching.
if anyone has some good links,please let me know.

Quick Reply: Massive Deer Feeding Mission in Colorado

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.