HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Legal rifle calibers by state (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/227252-legal-rifle-calibers-state.html)

HuntinSam 01-15-2008 07:10 PM

RE: Legal rifle calibers by state

you can shoot a big maine woods buck with a 22 mag if you want but i have trouble gettin them with a 30/30 with a double lung shot!!!

devil dog 01-15-2008 07:18 PM

Though I would never do it, alot of deer have been killed with a 22mag!!!, I knew an old man "that is dead now" that is all he ever hunted with and killed a bunch with it!. I asked him , why dont you use a real rifle " when I was a kid", he replied, a 22mag is a real rifle! you just need to know where to aim!, he didnt even have a scope on it, just used the iron sights!. He was by far, one of the best shooters Ive ever seen!.

teamster284 01-19-2008 02:05 PM

specifics for OHIO gun laws.

Gun Season and Youth Deer Gun Season - 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, or .410 gauge shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition); or muzzleloading rifle .38 caliber or larger; or handgun with 5-in. minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger, or longbow, crossbow (draw weight limitations same as for Archery Season). Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more than three shells

Rebel Hog 01-19-2008 03:01 PM

I deleted cause of wrong info! Paul is right!!

Paul L Mohr 01-19-2008 04:21 PM

Rebel, can you point me to or quote me where it states a minimum caliber in the handbook or regulations? Not arguing with you, I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

Paul

Rebel Hog 01-19-2008 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Rebel, can you point me to or quote me where it states a minimum caliber in the handbook or regulations? Not arguing with you, I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

Paul
You're right....My bad......... .17cal and all .22's have to be Centerfire cartridges:)

nick_bleuer76 01-19-2008 07:09 PM

How long did it take you to find all that?

Paul L Mohr 01-19-2008 08:18 PM

I don't know exactly, but a lot longer than I had planned on;). It took me two days, but I was doing other stuff and worked 10 hours each day I think. To give you an indication I read every states hunting regs to find the info, and a few in Canada as well. Some were pretty easy and straight forward, others were a pain in the butt to find and were vague at best. That is why I said if someone knows I am wrong about a particular state I would love to know, but would also like to know where they found it so I know where to look.

Paul

danniv 11-19-2009 02:43 AM

Gun Types

Is a mini gun prohibited? lol....

DeerandbearhoG 11-19-2009 04:44 AM

Ny is about 2/3 CF and 1/3 shotgun/ML/HG only