HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   iron sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/227139-iron-sights.html)

hurley0816 01-14-2008 05:59 AM

iron sights

was just wondering if anyone uses iron sights for hunting? and if so what is the max range that you still feel comfortable shooting a deer? might as well throw in what rifle you use also.

savage3006 01-14-2008 06:13 AM

RE: iron sights

I use iron sights once in a while. Here in the northeast most deers are taken within 80 yards range. Personally I would not use iron sights past that.

ButchA 01-14-2008 06:32 AM

Yup... My old Marlin .30-30 has open sights. I just can't bring myself to put a scope on it. I use it when I am deep in the brush, briars, thickets, and real heavy woods.

My Savage .308 has a 3-9x40 scope on it and I use that 90% of the time now.

As far as max range, I have my .30-30's rear sight elevation set exactly to 50 yards.

sjsfire 01-14-2008 07:26 AM

I used to.....eye surgeries and bi-focals took care of that though. I can't focus the front and rear sights anymore so it's scopes only for me.

drdi 01-14-2008 08:07 AM

I use open sites, but replaced my iron sights with fiberoptic sights. I hunt in a shotgun only state and 95% of my shots are within 50 yards. My farthest I've shot a deer was just under 60 yards. I might go 10 yards past that if open terrain, but that's about it.

UncleNorby 01-14-2008 10:51 AM

54 Cal. Renegade with peep sight. I'll shoot to 100 yds if I have time and a good rest. Killed one deer at 80 yds. Many from 20-50. A couple beyond 50. This year while still hunting I shot a nice doe through a pretty small hole in the brush at about 50.

If you can't manage standard open sights, I recommend a peep. I bore out the aperture a bit for hunting.

hurley0816 01-14-2008 11:12 AM

thanks for the replies so far. i am considering iron sights on my new rossi single shot. the scope that came with it doesnt work right. the reticle moves left to right every shot. got a new scope from gander to replace it and that one moves up and down. gonna send in the scope for another new one. but while that is being proceesed i am going to try it out with iron sights.i have experience with iron sights during boot camp, but i am willing to hear any advice that you may have. thanks again

Warkie 01-14-2008 11:12 AM

I have a Win 94 in 30-30 and 32Special. I don't use them for any more than 75yd shots. That is more of a factor of me than the gun. My buddy patterns them well at 100yd targets but 75 seems to be my "good" limit so I stick to it.
[align=left] [/align]

Killer_Primate 01-14-2008 12:28 PM

One of my favorite guns for hunting deer is my sks (7.62x39). It has ugly combat sights. But with practice you can get really good with it. And it is cheap to shoot, so practicing isn't a problem. I haven't yet, but I would shoot one past 100 yards with it. Most shots are a lot closer though.

I like the iron sights. Gives you a sense of reality. A scope seems like you're watching on tv to me.

Robert L E 01-14-2008 01:01 PM

I use open sights most of the time. Off hand I go out to seventyfive yards or so, from a rest I would go 100 or a bit more. It is easy to check at the range. If you can keep your shots on the proverbial pie plate you are good to go.

This year I only had a two second opportunity at a deer, a doe fawn. It was off hand, 65 yards away at an angle away from me. I don't think that I would have found the deer with a scope in time for a shot but that is me. As it was, I hit in the center of the ribs and through to the opposite shoulder. I hit right where I was aiming. I rarely have an opportunity beyond 100 yards so I probably will not change unless my eyes do.

Bob