HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Whos wife goes in the woods? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/227126-whos-wife-goes-woods.html)

2robinhood 01-13-2008 10:34 PM

Whos wife goes in the woods?

I asked my wife if she would like to go and watch me hunt.
She said sure.
I went and got here some camo.
Showed her how to use the climber and we went out the next day.
In the morning we didn't see anything.
In the afternoon we went to a different spot and she went up a tree.
I went about 75 yards away and climbed a tree.
35 minutes before dark I had a average size doe walk in.
She was to my back, so I stood up, turned around and sat on the climbing bar.
She was there for fifteen minutes and I started talking to myself.
A friend of mine didn't get anything during regular season and he could use some meat and the wife needed to be broken in on hunting.
Well for the next few minutes I was laughing to myself, because I know when someone shoots close to me it sometimes makes me jump.......well, I had to do it.
The first shot, she liked to jump out of her skin.
The follow up shot had the deer fell 25 yards from her tree.
She saw the muzzle blast from the second shot and is scared her again.
So, my buddy got some meat, I have another deer to the list, and the wife got broken in.
As of right now she just wants to watch.
See said that she can't wait till next weekend to go again.
She doesn't know, but I looked at a youth 870 today.

Jasonlester 01-13-2008 11:00 PM

RE: Whos wife goes in the woods?

Congrats,

I took my wife before we had kids. We saw nothing unfortunatly. I wish she would show interest agian.

Maybe one day.

drdi 01-14-2008 05:02 AM

This is too funny. My husband and I have been married 18 years. 10-12 years ago I finally gave in on him pestering me to go hunting with him. I just wanted to watch (grew up a city girl after all ;)). Then after 2 seasons of watching, he bought me an 870 youth model. Now I spend as much or more time in the woods than he does. Oh it begins so innocently. ;););) (Oh and I had to buy 3more guns and a bow. LOL!)

retrieverman 01-14-2008 05:16 AM

My wife went hunting with me several times while we were dating, and the first year we were married she went once and killed a deer. We have been married almost 19 years, and she has never been back. I don't complain though because she also doesn't gripe no matter how much I go.

I have friends who's wives nag them about hunting, and I feel extremely lucky.

Congrats to the guys that do get their wives to hunt!

sjsfire 01-14-2008 07:33 AM

I don't think I'd ever get my wife to sit in the woods with me while I hunt. She'll cook it, eat it, and enjoys it but thats it. She never once complains about me going and being gone. She is a true animal lover but still understands the need to hunt as far as population control, health of the herd, etc. So I don't ask her to go hunting and she doesn't ask me to go clothes shoppingwith her. I'd call it a draw....

psdpower 01-14-2008 08:07 AM

I'm pretty sure mine doesn't want to go and climb a tree, but she has held the spotlight for me when the hogs are eating the oranges in our grove. They'll it a few boxes in minutes! They've already ruined over 20 acres of our pastures. Luckily she comes froma family of hunters so I don't have to hear the nagging. She actually pokes fun at me when I miss.(she never lets me forget that one)

superstrutter 01-14-2008 08:28 AM

My wife is not a hunter. Believe me I have tried to convert her. She is the most understanding person in the world though and supports me 100%. I love her dearly and wish she would some day want to hunt with me, but it's not happening. She gets just as excited as I do when I kill a nice buck, but has no interest in ever taking her own. She eats all the wild game I cook. She never complains about me hunting, regardless of how long I am gone. I guess I am lucky in that aspect. She will go to the camp with us sometimes and even sit on a stand just to watch occasionally, but that's as far as it goes. Even though she is not a hunter, I wouldn't trade her for anything, except maybe a booner:D.

PYbuckhunter 01-14-2008 08:29 AM

Back before we had kids, my wife tried bowhunting for a year. She did not kill anything and did not go hunting again until this season. She asked me if she could go hunting this year, of course I said yes! I took her out this spring on her first turkey hunt and she killed a nice gobbler the very first day. We went out west with the kids,she and I bothhad antelope tags and she shot a nice buck antelope .....her first ever big game animal!....Well,now I haveawakened a sleeping giant, she wants to go even when I can't. She went gun hunting and killed a 8 pt. buck and a doe, the buck she shot all by herself. I was home watching the kids when she called telling me the good news. She tells me she won't interfere with my bow hunting, but I think its only a matter of time before she wants todo that also.

texas8point 01-14-2008 08:55 AM

My wife will go sit and watch before the season but has no interest in watching me shoot anything. I've tried for years, but if thats it, then thats it.

Dave_G 01-14-2008 09:04 AM

"Whos wife goes in the woods."

Mine does, as long as there's no one else but me watchin'. :^)