Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Goin' Vegeterian

Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Goin' Vegeterian

Scent control is one of the most important aspects of hunting. I seriously doubt that going veggie will change the way you smell to a deer. If that is what it takes to make you feel better than go for it. IMO there is no short cut or substitute for real scent control by hunting into the wind where you can. I still hunt and keep a puff bottle in my pocket anduse it to detect small wind currents. When I bow hunt I am usually up high in a tree and seldom have had any problem with being detected.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

As soon as a buck tells me I smell like a pork chop I'll think about trying it.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

i can top the corn feeding deer

i was camping at mammoth cave KY

and there were deer coming in about 5 yards from our tent

we feed them marshmallows for a hour one 3 feet from me. i could not get it to eat out of my hand but i tried
ORIGINAL: newguy23

ORIGINAL: JimPic

I'll just hunt the wind.I'll give you a perfect example.After 3 days at my cabin(very primitive with no utilities)with only taking "bird baths",I was walking to my stand within the morning with the wind in my face,when a 5pt walked right up to me.He was so close,I tapped him between the antlers with my arrow.I shot him at at 10ft
Yeah... That's great... But I am not looking to hunt 5-pointers... I had one come up to me when I was throwing corn out, it would have eaten right out of my hand if I had offered it to him..

I am more after 6.5+ year old 11-pointers!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

And I am going to take a wag (wild-ass-guess) and say none of the deer eating marshmallows looked like my deer
Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah... That's great... But I am not looking to hunt 5-pointers... I had one come up to me when I was throwing corn out, it would have eaten right out of my hand if I had offered it to him..

That 5pt just happened to give me the shot I wanted to take.Here's an 11pt taken from the same area at 30yds after 4 days at my cabin(me in the middle)

Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

they ate them up about 2 bags heck the next day i had to go get some more for smores and they hate the rest that night

some where spikes and big does a few where nice size 6s

i seen 12 within 40 feet one night

i had a gun with me but i was in the camp ground and it was not season

got to admit though i thought about pulling the trigger more then once

but i do not like jail

And I am going to take a wag (wild-ass-guess) and say none of the deer eating marshmallows looked like my deer
Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am getting hungry
ORIGINAL: JimPic

That 5pt just happened to give me the shot I wanted to take.Here's an 11pt taken from the same area at 30yds after 4 days at my cabin(me in the middle)