HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Alabama State Limits (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/226795-alabama-state-limits.html)

shawnee28 01-11-2008 07:19 PM

Alabama State Limits

Here in Wilcox County Al as in most of Alabama, we still have a buck and doe a day limit. Does anyone else think we are being pushed to hard to kill or deer makers? Most, not just a few neighbors are saying that they arn't seeing the does let alone the bucks. From Mobile to Selma, in some of the most perdominate hunting areas ever hunted, they are saying the same thing. Granted some places arn't as bad, but even they are worse than ever. 3 of my neighboring camp presidents and myself had permits to travil our properties with only a light to see if the results were any better....NO they weren't, not like every year past. This is a total of 4600 acres of the highest lease cost lands in the area and for good reason untill last year and this year. 1600 does between 2 meat houses in December alone, but I figure that only 20% of our hunters take a deer to a meat house to have it cleanned (this is to clean and process). That is enough does for a while.......

MichaelP 01-11-2008 08:32 PM

RE: Alabama State Limits

I hunt in natasulga but i live in GA last I heard it is still a buck 2 deer a day, 2 does or 1 buck 1 doe but you could only kill 3 bucks a year with one of them having AR.

RugerM77.270 01-12-2008 08:15 AM

The limits are not pushing it. This year the three buck limit was put into effect to cause hunters to shoot more does. Everywhere I have ever hunted I have heard that this year isn't as good ant the previous, and I hear that every year. The truth is the deer population is still gorwing at an alarming rate and we are not killing them fast enough. The Dept. of Wildlife did a survey in 2004 and estimated that Alabama had 1.8 million deer in it, but couldn't support much more than that with its habitat, and needed to harvest 1/3 of the population, but hunters only havested 450,000 deer allowing the herd to grow.

The truth of the matter is the herd is growing beyond it habitat. Dothan where I live had deer/car collisions closer and closer to the metro area every year because the rural areas can't hold the population.

IF you are indeed not seeing the deer you once did it may be that there were to many for your area and the population fell from a lack of habitat and nutrition. Then again you club may be over hunted and in need of greater club restrictions. Call the Dept. of Wildlife and have them come out and look over the situation.

AmateurHunter44857 01-12-2008 12:04 PM

Yall are allowed 3 bucks!?!?!?!? Is that between gun season and Archery season, or are you allowed 3 bucks per gun season and 3 per archery? In ohio your allowed a ton of deer but only 1 buck. In Southern Ohio you can take up to 7 deer during gun season with the urban permit.

RugerM77.270 01-12-2008 01:10 PM

Its 3 bucks for the entire season. This is our first year like this. Up until last year we could take one buck a day from the stat of bow season (Mid October)till the end of gun (Jan. 31). That was over 100 legal bucks, Plus you could take a doe each day.

shawnee28 01-12-2008 08:25 PM

3 per year, but if you know anyone who buys a liscense for anything but doesn't hunt deer, they can will their limit or one of them to you. I have a friend who only dove hunts so I could have his if I wanted them, but 3 is more than I need this year.

timbercruiser 01-12-2008 08:47 PM

The limit paper is a joke. It is a copied paper that the hunter is suppose to fill out themselves, but if anybody wanted to shoot more than three there is nobody and no way to check it unless you wanted to run your mouth to the game warden, just print another paper on your copier at home. The paper isn't even turned in to the state, or anybody else. By the way, I havn't fired a shot this year.

DukhuntChad 01-13-2008 04:44 PM

I hunt South of Tuscaloosa and I haven't seen a doe in over a month, I've killed two bucks and seen some smaller bucks, but no does. I have been looking to kill a doe, but can't find them. This season I've seen probably a 3 to 1 buck to dow ratio. But when you see a doe there is usually 2 or 3 with it.

Chad

bryant1 01-14-2008 12:30 PM

My dad and brother hunted near Selma, Alabama in a place called 'Bone Swamp' years ago,up to10 years ago. They went every year with 4-5 other guys for a 4 day hunt and they came back with around 30-35 deer each time. They would tell me of seeing 20-40 deer each morning/afternoon for everybody hunting. They saidSelma wasoverrun by deer, even more than our county in Florida.

The last time they went they killed maybe half the usual number of deer and didnt see very many more. Sounds like overharvesting of the resources to me. Our florda limits are still 1 buck, 1 doe a day also, but there are restictions on the does.

Robert L E 01-15-2008 11:24 AM

I don't know how many deer you all can eat. In Iowa we do not have nearly the numbers of deer that you have but we think we are overpopulated in about 1/3 of the state. 60% of the 2006-2007 harvest was does and you know what?? When we do see bucks they are bigger. The only deer I would pass on is a little buck. Does and fawns go down. (A large fawn can be about 90 pounds in Iowa.) I always buy doe tags and reserve the any sex tag for a big boy. It went unfilled the last three years.

How many hunters are there in Alabama that you can shoot three bucks? In Iowa you are limited to one tag for one buck with a gun and one with a bow. If you do not fill the tag in the season you are hunting you can not get another either. The 2007-8 seasons started with fewer deer than 2006-7 but not noticeable. Next year we will have more deer because of the horrid weather we hade every weeken in December. People had trouble driving and hunting and the kill was way down because of this.

Bob