Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

For All you 223 Fans

Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: For All you 223 Fans

No problem with that shot. Neck shot at 100 yds is a chip shot..
Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

What if you are offered a shot at a 250lbbuck at about 100 yards. He's quartering towards you so you need to get through the shoulder to hit the vitals. Will a 50gr bullet from a 223 have enough power at 100 yards to penetrate the heavy muscle and plow through the shoulder bone of a 250lb buck? will it getthrough that, wreck thevitals and exit in the back far quadrant of said buck? Sure, 50 yard shots at broadside standing deer is easy. A tough angle at the buck of your dreams? Why chance it with barely enough gun? Why not be prepared for anything?

100% AGREED!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

What if you are offered a shot at a 250lbbuck at about 100 yards. He's quartering towards you so you need to get through the shoulder to hit the vitals. Will a 50gr bullet from a 223 have enough power at 100 yards to penetrate the heavy muscle and plow through the shoulder bone of a 250lb buck? will it getthrough that, wreck thevitals and exit in the back far quadrant of said buck? Sure, 50 yard shots at broadside standing deer is easy. A tough angle at the buck of your dreams? Why chance it with barely enough gun? Why not be prepared for anything?
I took a 15 yrd shot into a buck quartering towards me with a .50 caliber muzzleloader 4 or 5 years ago.I wouldnt take that shot again with any caliber.I took out one lung, the deer was able to go damn near a half mile after I shot him and didnt leave much blood trail behind.I recovered him but I had to stay within sight of him the whole time as there was a blizzard starting and the small amount of blood he lost was gone fast.Personally Id find the angle to be more unethical than the caliber.Theres a definate risk of losing the deer with that shot from any gun far as I can tell.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: petasux

I took a 15 yrd shot into a buck quartering towards me with a .50 caliber muzzleloader 4 or 5 years ago.I wouldnt take that shot again with any caliber.I took out one lung, the deer was able to go damn near a half mile after I shot him and didnt leave much blood trail behind.I recovered him but I had to stay within sight of him the whole time as there was a blizzard starting and the small amount of blood he lost was gone fast.Personally Id find the angle to be more unethical than the caliber.Theres a definate risk of losing the deer with that shot from any gun far as I can tell.
Seems like you learned a lesson. there is no such thing as marginfor error. A .50 caliber on the wrong angle still doesnt do a great job. I have always waited for a complete broadside shots, or aim for the neck or head.Those are the only shots I take, completely broadside, neck, orhead. Its worked for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the scenario above the deers 100 yrds out quartering towards you.

That would mean either he has no idea youre there and will continue to quarter towards you, at some point it will turn into a broadside shot at a closer range

or

the deer already knows youre there and isnt sure what you are, if he turns to run he will give you the broadside or quartering away shot youre after.That far away they generally dont do this fast as theyre still not sure if youre a danger.

In either case with any gun youre better off waiting a minute to see what happens IMPO
Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
tf
Spike

I'm not too sure about ol' Ridgerunner. He seems too confident to me, and it sounds like he took a lot of deer this season. (maybe too many). He obviously needs to be in shooting competitions if he's not already active in it. But I agree that the 100yd shot scenario is pheasable, I witnessed my wife do it and the deer fell within 10 feet of impact.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to turn this one around....If you are not confident enough in your shooting skills that you can't put a bullet into the base of a deer's neck at 100 yards....Maybe you need to learn to shoot...I track more deer wounded because of hunters flinching from using TOO MUCH GUN that they can't keep their shots within a 3 inch circle at 100 yards....These are the guys that I make sure I put in the stands where the shots will be within 100 yards...

I've killed at least 40 deer with a 22-250, back in the 70s with the 55gr Remington varmit bullets...My 17yr old niece has killed 6 with 6 shots shooting the 60gr Nosler Partition, never lost a one, but she is a dang good shot and doesn't flinch...She has been taught how to shoot....I'd bet she could out shoot 75% of the guys on here....

A 55gr bullet, placed at the base of the neck of that buck will drop him in his tracks.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

You tell them RR. By the way the picture of you with that 6.5gibbs was awesome. What a beautiful rifle and thanks for the reloading advice. With the proper equipment, time, and experience anything is possible. Few of us have the dedication to do it. I’m still trying to get comfortable at 400 yards and be +/- 2 inches.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a turkey this year at 43 yards with my 7mm Rem Mag with a 165grpower point bullet. Think I was over gunned?

(I took a neck shot and almost decapitated it)
Old 01-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Well the whole idea is a mute point as far as I'm concerned. I don't own a .223 and even if I did I wouldn't go deer hunting with it. That's what I bought my .30-06 for. If I did get a .223 and if I were out hunting (cyotes, bobcats, or other such smaller game) with it and it happend to still be deer season (which I wouldn't be out hunting anything but deer during deer season anyways but I regress) I would do the following:
1. stay very still and make sure not to spook it.
2. Look at my watch and see what time it is.
3. Wait until it was safe to leave without spooking it
4. Go home and not tell a soul.
5. Come back the next day with my 30-06 about an hour before the time I saw it
6. Go home that night with a trophy buck and a big smile on my ethical face
Again thats if I bought a .223 and if I went hunging with it during deer season and if I decided that that was the thing to do and if I happened to be in the right place and if it were the right time. [&:]

Quick Reply: For All you 223 Fans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.