Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Season Over: Scouting

Old 01-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Season Over: Scouting

My first deer season is over. All the literature I am reading says to start scouting. I want to scout a new area that is public land bow only. What type of sign am I looking for? I have heard maybe old rubs and scrapes, large droppings etc.. on trails and then branch out from there looking for funnel points to and from bedding areas and food sources. Now guessing that all the bucks have not been run out or killed, what is the best way to determine if they are still in the area? Later into this year after I pick out a spot should I sit a few mornings/afternoons, assuming that I cannot glass from a distance? It is public land and trail cams are out of the questions. Any input?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 PM

Default RE: Season Over: Scouting

I dont hunt public land, so I cant help you there, but I can tell you how I like to scout the private land I hunt and what I like to look for on it and any new land I hunt. I like to find good trails in and around the food sources. I also look for old rub and scrape signs. One thing I have noticed is that bigger bucks dont always use the old worn trails of the does but bucks will sometimes use the same scrapping and rubbing areas. Some of the best sign I think you can find is actually seeing deer in your area, so I try to scout as quiety and invisible as possible. As far as sitting several mornings prior to season, once my stands are hung I try to avoid the area Im going to be hunting. You can always adjust your stands per sightings. Everybody does it differently, so youll just have to see what works in your area. Best of luck in '08
Old 01-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Did WVHOYT cover it all? I was hoping to get a little more feed back on what guys do during the off season. I have been reading a thread in the bow hunting section but was hoping to spark a little more input here. Does anyone know of any videos out there?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scouting right now in my areas a waste of time, the deer move around to much between now and next Oct to bother trying to see where theyre at right now.They dont have set areas, theyre in the crop fields untill the crops come out, then theyll scatter all over, then as it gets colder theyll bunch up and start gahering in places with heavy cover and accessible food.Hunting pressure throughout the season moves them even more.This means the deer will be miles away from where you started hunting them in early season to where youll wind up hunting them now.

The rubs you find were made a couple months ago, the bucks that made them are quite possibly dead, or they were just passing through chasing does during the rut.

Even sitting and watchings somewhat pointless now as many of the bucks in my area have lost thier antlers and everything now looks like does.

You can look for shed antlers right now and that should give you a good idea what bucks made it through the year, depending where you live they may even be in the same area next year.

I like to start scouting about 2 months before season, and Ill continue to scout almost daily untill season ends, I spend as much time doing that as actually hunting.I also familurize myself with the food sources, crop rotation in my area etc...That will generally give you a good idea where to start looking.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 AM

Look for rubs and scrapes, bucks tend to use the same areas year after year, chances are good thata lotof the bucks that made them are still around unless there is rediculous hunting pressure. Also look for areas where deer are bedding and feeding and in between, these areas are good spots to look for shed antlers as said already. Look for main trails as deer will most likely use the same ones next fall. Scouting anywhere right now is not a waste of time,a big buckmay not use the same exact trails and food sources right now compared to next fall, but if you find sign of him or multiple bucks while scouting, at least you knowthey areusing the general area and you have a good chance of seeingthem next fall.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM

if i was going to scout then i would go by some corn or baite and put me up some camers