Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade ladder stand

Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Default RE: Homemade ladder stand

Here is one of mine. I use this setup for 3 of my other stands as well. Works good, lots of room and able to stay in it overnight.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hiawatha, do you have any more pics of how this stand is constructed? I'm gathering ideas for SAFE homemade stands, I'm done nailing short pieces of 2x4's to a tree trunk to useas aladder.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 AM

No I do not have any plans or blue prints, just winged it and reinforced/braced it where i saw fit. From tree to tree i have 2 2x6's (leave some overhang) nailed into the trees one on each side of the trees, these will act as a brace for the floor. Then I rest 2 2x6's ontop of the first nailed planks and extend them out to my ladder. I nail one end to the tree and the other ends to the ladder. The ladder is made from 18ft 2x6's for rails and 2x4's for steps. Once that is done i climb up the ladder and lay 2x6's across the platform for the floor leaving a little gap for water to escape. I alsoscab another brace in between the ladder and the floor to keep close end of the floor supported.I also brace the bottom by nailing a plank/tree from the ladder back to the tree.Then i use 1x4's for a rail on the bottom and top all the way around. Spray paint some burlap and staple it up. For nailing to the trees i use some big daddy spikes like 7 inch or so. In time the ree will corrode the nails and break them off so will have to repair a bit every few years or so. Just by reading your idea there of climbing with little pieces of 2x4 nailed to a tree isn't the best. I have done it when in a bind but the steps will want to tip on you when u step on one side. It may not be bad initially but the nails will loosen up and cause u problems when u step on the steps.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks nice!!!