Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade ladder stand

Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Homemade ladder stand

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

"Block the wind"? I'm in florida. I was thinking more along the lines of a honda generator and a 5000 btu window air conditioner.
That is a good looking stand. If it were me, I would establish a good hunting spot before I set it up because It doesn't look like one you will be eager to move. I would use treated wood, and check your steps every season. If you do put a roof on it, I would seal it and use mosquito netting. Here in south Texas, the smart bucks alter their movement by the smell of deet.I would bet Florida is not much different.

C. Davis
Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good. You could put a hinged door on the front if you wanted wood instead of burlap. I have built several....they arenot real expensive to build (less than $100 if you have a roof). My recommedation is to use rough cut oak for your main supports, rather than p/t. The sides, ladder, roof (if one) can be p/t and will last a long time. Rough cut oak will last much longer. I have several that are over 10yrs old....and still fine. Will be building a few more this year.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with LKNChoppers, why would anybody want to go to the trouble and expense of building a wooden stand whan you can get a safer, easier to move and cheaper welded metal stand.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

with the price of steel and lumber these days you can get a double ladder stand much cheaper. and at least the store bought ones are weight tested. i can build one that will hold a tank,but in a few years they weakin up alot.

walmart has a double for around 100.00, natchez shooters supply has them on sale also. check walmarts in your area ,right here after christmas is when i bought my last supply of ladders stands ,i think i payed 48.00 each last january. i use the singles and add a extra rail around them that can be rapped with camo.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

i've made many stands, all with free wood that I come across during the year. I prefer to have a series of permanent stands, when you own the property. Go straight to hunting rather than doing set-up. On this stand I would have put the ladder runs on the front face of the ladder, vertical, instead of flat. The ladder does last many more years if a good maple or oak tree (4-6 inch round) is used for the ladder beams.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 AM

nice looking stand, but have to say, as a construction company owner, looks like a LOT of work on a ladder. even though I have my own hunting property, prefer metal ladder stands myself. just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I agree with LKNChoppers, why would anybody want to go to the trouble and expense of building a wooden stand whan you can get a safer, easier to move and cheaper welded metal stand.

I understand what your trying to say but easy to move means that its easy to steal. Here in coastal Florida if the land is undeveloped it's probably swamp covered with impenetrable brush. The land were I hunt is one of those rare areas that is huntable without an airboat, it's about 2 square miles in size. About 1/4 of the area has been taken over by people in their late teens and early twenties. They use it for hanging out, drinking, four wheeling(mudding), barbequeing etc.. We give them a wide berth when we hunt but they periodically explore the woods in their four wheelers. Unfortunately anything "storebought" will probably be stolen. In our damp environement I bet pressure treated wood will last longer than a welded steel stand.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:56 AM

My brother just got the Double Stand at Walmart on sale after Christmas for $74. It even came with the camo wrap to cover the sides.

On all my ladder stands, wooden or steel I run a 20' cable lock down them. If any wandering theif would look at that, they would probably not waste their time fooling with it.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

In our damp environement I bet pressure treated wood will last longer than a welded steel stand.
I agree with that 100%. We have the Delaware Bay approx 3-4 miles away(can see it from field stands)Farm is also adjacent to large tidal river,salt marsh etc...The damp Salt air Does take its toll on metal stands.We have 3 tri-pods - two are 4 years old and are showing signs of Salt Air corrosion.The 3rd one belongs to land owner and is probably 10-12 yeras old - It's Shot to Hell - Rusted out - not safe to hunt.

Don't forget the metal/welded ladder stands or tri-pods need to be wrapped with something = more $$$$ to invest.You also need (I do anyway) to spray welds and bolts with a good rust proof primer every couple years = more $$$.

We've got the "build" on salt treated stands down to a fine science.Can build a 4x4 box stand w/roof for about $150 - $250 depending on height and misc materials we can scrounge up.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Good for you wanting to build your own stand. I disagree with people who claim that the only "safe" way to hunt out of a tree is from a pre-fabed steel treestand. Its BS in my opinion. If you know what you are doing, you can build a stand that is just as safe as or more safe than most big companies can. Again....you do need to know what you are doing.

Quick Reply: Homemade ladder stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.