Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats wrong with my rifle?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Whats wrong with my rifle?

Scope mounts are probably where the problem is. I would have someone else shoot it just to eliminate human error.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

If you know you do not flinch and you are confident that the problem is not you, you should check the scope. Once in a while I do the "square drill" to check my scope (http://www.gameandfishnetwork.com/do...quareDrill.pdf). This is a good practice anyway and will rule out most problems with your scope.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think having someone else who is a really good shooter shoot it. Unless there is something loose in the scope, it probably is flinch. I have hunted many years and have trouble shooting good groups with my .270. The more you shoot the better you'll get. Try shooting just 3 shots a day for a while so you won't get frustrated.

What pisses me off is that when I'm hunting and take a shot at a deer, I don't even hear the gun go off or feel the recoil.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM

Hey, man - it might be your flux capacitor.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Spike

somebody else did shoot it off his bipod. he made neccesary adjustments, but these adjustments didnt correspond to where the bullet was hitting. Sometimes he would do minor adjustments with the elevation, but the bullet would hit way to high for the amount of times he clicked the elevation adjustments. what would be wrong with the scope rings? I tightened them even more today, but they werent really loose.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

quit moving the scope and try to shoot a group. IF`you can group bullets the problem most likely is you.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Before doing anything with the scope you have to make sure you can shoot a good group.
- Make sure the scope is secured. It seems you already did that
- Make sure the chamber is clean and you do not have junk in there that prevents the cartridge to be loaded properly
- Make sure it is not you
If the problem persists, try to swap the scope
Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

First never repeat never sight a gun in off a truck hood ,box or trampoline.Get a bench[picknic table ] Use steel rings and mounts. To illiminate human error use an adjustable front rest sand bagged [Ihave #8 leadshot in mine better than sand] and a rearbag with sand or leadshot.Set a target up at 20 yards and boresight it.Remove bolt and position gun in bags til you have the bullseye in the bore then adjust the scope til the x is on the bullseye.Fire a shot and adjust until hitting centre.Move target out to 100 yards and fire a 3 shot group then fine tune it from there.Bore sighting saves a lot of ammo and works like a big peep sight.........Hope this helps................Harold
Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the key is to shoot at least 3 shot groups before making any adjustments to your scope. You should be able to get at least a 2 - 3 inch group even off the hood of a pickup. You shouldn't make any adjustments to your scope based on a single shot unless it is way off and you are really close and have a good rest.

When sighting in a rifle I usually start at 50 or even 25 yards until I get it pretty close and then I move out to 100 to fine tune it.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

If you lined your 30-06 at 110 yards it will probably shoot low at 50 yards.Here are a few tips to use when lining up your gun.

1.Use the same brand and grain weight of bullets,don't change after lining it up.

2.Use a steady rest or Caldwell Ledsled to hold your gun secure.

3.Shoot 3 times,then see where your groups are and adjust your scope accordingly.

4.Make sure your scope rings and mounts are secure/tight!

5.Let your gun cool down after each groups of 3 shots.

6.Make sure you adjust your up-down and left-right adjustments the right direction.
Do what this guy said. Use a Lead Sled and you should be able to hit bullet holes. I have noticed on some scopes that the 0.25" equals 1 click at 100 yards is not right so just go slow with the adjustments.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with my rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.