Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

I'd never purposely take a ham shot. A shot to the spine is completely different than a shot to the rump.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

I'd never purposely take a ham shot. A shot to the spine is completely different than a shot to the rump.
So then are you saying that you would totally pass, or just hold high in the situation I described? If you're presented with a broadside look at the rump, a bullet striking the upper third would shatter the pelvis, and the deer would go down and never get back up.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

So then are you saying that you would totally pass, or just hold high in the situation I described? If you're presented with a broadside look at the rump, a bullet striking the upper third would shatter the pelvis, and the deer would go down and never get back up.
Sounds like you have already made up your mindin answeringyour original question, but I'd never say never.I've seen wounded deer get hit in the rump on a second or third shot on more than one occasion and often all you end up with is damaged hams. You never know where a bullet may deflect to when hitting bone. You could also easily miss this spine orpelvisand end up with 'meat shot'.
As was pointed out earlier by another member, if you'd passthe same shot on a smaller buck or doe, then you should pass it on the deer in question imho.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you would feel comfortable taking the ham shot after looking at this anatomy picture?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texas Heart Shot??? I always referred to it as the Texas Hole Shot
Old 01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't take a broadside ham shot, regardless of the size of the deer. As a younger kid I hit one there by accident and it was a horrendous ordeal. I finally got the deer, but believe me it could still move pretty good and it was a long chase. Don't do it, no deer is worth it.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

You are hunting on the ground with a rifle. A deer approaches through heavy cover. You can see it well enough to determine that it is a big buck, possibly Boone & Crocket. When it closes to about 40 yards, you bring your gun up, and the deer stops and looks up at you. You’re looking through your scope; the deer is facing you, on red alert. It prances a bit, turns broadside, and all you can see is rump, but that tail is up, this hunt is going to be over in just a second. If he bolts, you’re not going to get a shot at all. Do you shoot him in the rump?
no rump shot for me!!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

no way i would take the shot.. doe or a booner, thats stupid imo..
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

First off, It shouldn't matter what deer it is, treat them all the same. That being said...I would prolly pass the shot..... I've seen lots of deer shot in the hind quarters and none of them have gone far. But I would pass and wait for a better shot.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 PM

Yes, I've already made up my mind, and yes it does make a difference that it's a trophy buck. The scenario I described is realistic for the way I hunt, and I've thought it through. I would never take that shot on an ordinary deer, but I've never shot a trophy buck, only seen a couple. I'm confident that a broadside shot to the ham with a rifle would put the deer down and I would take the shot.

Now if I was hunting say, in Texas, where they're like livestock, no. In my neck of the woods, a buck like I described is basically a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm goingto knock him down. Yes, I hit one like that by accident one time and it was a mess, but he dropped immediately and was no problem to recover.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.