Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting tips for deer?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: baiting tips for deer?

Got some corn the other day that was premixed with molasses....the corn was gone in two days and the ground was torn the F up. I think they might of liked it!!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM

yeah man i mixed in some corn with deer cane gel and the ground got raped!
is planting red clover good for deer?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 PM

I dont hunt over bait anymore, the only time I'll bait is after the season when I'm trying to get pics of deer that made it through the season. Usually I put out 10 lbs of corn at a time,if theres any snow on the ground hereit wont last 12 hours, so in addition to the corn I'll put out a mineral block to keep them around. I like baiting because it positions the deer perfectly for the camera, I can get several pictures of a buck if he comes by, instead of getting one or two pics of him just passing by on a trail.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

they most not be hungry
ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I've poured out a few hundred pounds this year and the deer havn't really gone for it yet, some of it rotted on the ground. They like acorns better it seems.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

ditto what other people said about spreading it on the ground. we use a 5 gallon bucket and spread it over a larger area. the feeders work okay but what happens to us is that 1 doe and her little ones use it and fend the others off. occasionally a buck visits but them alpha does homestead them. deer are very skidish when coming to a feeder. they appear to be more relaxed when feeding on the spread corn. you see numbers when you spread the corn. I have a spreader I hook to my ranger and spread a 50lb sack about 100 yards or so. it works great that way too. feeders are great for getting pictures but that is about it.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:11 PM

i personally think the timed feeders are a waste rof money because you can just go dump food everyday out there
Old 01-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welllllll, what about the days you arent able to make it afeild? And also setting up a feeder keeps the human element oout of the woods as much as possible, such as scent and just pressure overall.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

not saying they are bad, but in my area I only see a few deer coming to them and they are very skiddish. Now, when I put corn on the ground I see more deer at one time feeding. I still use em b/c like you said not everyone has the luxury of being able to feed every other day b/c of distance from hunting grounds or cost of gas. one thing I did this year and it seemed to pay off a little better was to have the feeder go off in the middle of the day that way the corn was on the ground well before major movement in the afternoons. I find deer in my area move to corn better in the afternoons than mornings too. I have seen some deer stand and wait for the feeder to go off and others like a really nice buck this year trailing a doe run like heck to get away from it when the timer went off. after seeing him skiddadle I decided to do the noon feed time that way everything was quiet when the deer started moving good. food for thought.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 AM

yeah i guess thats true especially after the rut i pooured out a whole 5 gallon bucket of corn and the next day it was all gone
Old 01-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Our deer will pass right by the corn to graze on wheat. If its a poor stand of wheat,I have alot more visiting my feeders. Larry

Quick Reply: baiting tips for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.