Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

why wouldn't you feel good about taking it? thats stupid, i'd take it and call the warden. where i hunt on small pieces of property ,if a poacher kills one nice buck ,he has ruined that property for the season. put a stop to it,anyway you can.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 AM

If you don't feel comfortable taking it, then take a sledgehammer to it and bend the hell out of it. Whatever you do, don't leave it. Either take it or destroy it. The more tolerant you are of him, the more he's going to do it. It's your job to control the situation.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Spike

The biggest problem with just taking it is starting a war and having either your stuff or the land owner's, damaged or stolen. That said, I would take it and leave a note that it can be picked up at the land owner's house or at the sheriff's office. Give them a chance to come clean - could solve problems in the long run (or could serve as a first warning with the next leading to heavier trespassing charges).

Jason
Old 01-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Let's look at it like this.

In Pennsylvania, it is ILLEGAL to hunt over bait!

That person was not sinceer about hunting, all he wanted was an easy deer.

If it was legal to be there - it would not have been a problem.
If he had permission to be there, he wouldn't have ran when he seen you coming. The fact that he did run and he left his stuff tells me that he didn't want to get caught. The other half of the story was - was there posted signs on the property lines?

If the land is posted to keep other people out, then he was tresspassing and should be turned in - to keep others from doing the same.

If the land was free to hunt, then it shouldn't have been a problem - because he was not damaging the trees and if it was legal to hunt over a feeder - then he was ok.

If it was my stand and my feeder and I was not doing anything wrong. I would have went back to the woods as soon as you left and got help and got my stuff out of there. The stand was no perminent - so it walked out with him.

The feeder he could have dumped and gotten out just as easily.

For all you know, it could have been one of his neighbors - that had permission to use the property, but not to poach deer. You take the stand and now you will cause hard feelings.

For all you know, that person knows you and if his stand comes up missing, he will come to your house and you will have more damage to your property than what the feeder and treestand is worth!

It sounds more like something that the landowner or the State Police or the Game Warden should be taking a look at and not done by you - which will only get you in trouble.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 PM

Guys...
There's nothing worse then a thief!
Poacher/trespasser aside, taking something that is not yours is WRONG!!!
A gent in this post suggested taking it to the landowner's or having the landowner take it down and leave a note that the landowner now has the stand. I couldn't agree more. You reported it to the landowner which is good.
IMHO, your job is done after that. Unless you're given written permission to be a representative of the landowner in his absence and/or act on his/her behalf, don't take the stand and feeder. Your integrity as a hunteris moreimportant then gaining a " new stand "!
Hope it works out for you.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:18 PM

its not bout this but hey do you ever get on the chat room if you do let me tell you i got banned for no reason soask this specific person ARP why she banned me from there i wasnt even talking to her

tell her that codigray1345 says this

PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!do this for me!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM

I would takeit down and keep it. I would also take the feeder. Since it has no right to be there I would notfeel bad about taking them.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: walker12

If you don't feel comfortable taking it, then take a sledgehammer to it and bend the hell out of it. Whatever you do, don't leave it. Either take it or destroy it. The more tolerant you are of him, the more he's going to do it. It's your job to control the situation.
Exactly right.....!

I would say that santa came a little late this year!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget part of the reason Landowner's allow people to hunt their properties is to help keep unwanted people off their land. So if you simply do nothing after the landwoner told you to take it down he may find someone next year who will do what he wants. As far aa being a thief for taking it, give me a break!! The thief is the trespeasser who is using the land as his own!!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

nwMOgsp hit's it right on the head for me.I am not taking someone's stuff and using it as my own,not going to happen no matter what the circumstances are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.