Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Terrible Sound!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Terrible Sound!

Saturday was the last day for any gun deer season in WV. Well, i wasable to shoot a doe at 204 yards in a field. It was on the edge of the field with 5 other doe when i shot it. They all ran into the woods.
When I came upon the woods where they entered, the deer I shot lay there with it's head barely up and was making a horrible "screaming" sound. I quickly shot the deer again. I had put the first bullet through both shoulders making a large hold in the onside shoulder. The off side leg was completley gone just below the shoulder.
When field dressing the deer, i determined i only hit the bottom of 1 lung. The dispatching shot was to the neck.

Guys, I've not been hunting very long and have actually taken only 11 deer. I've never heard this sound before. Has anyone else ever heard this. It was quite disturbing.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Terrible Sound!

Yup, was it a crap shot by any chance?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

"First we revolutionized deer hunting when brought you the 'Grunt Tube', then the 'Can Call', then the 'Snort-Wheeze', and finally,last year the 'Buck Roar'."
"Well, we're about do it again.Introducing the latest breakthrough call fromPrimos: 'The Deer Scream". Used at that special time of the season when a deers pain threshold is through the roof!" "EEEEEEIIIIIIIIAAAHHHHHH!!!!" EEEEEEIIIIIIIAAAAHHHHH!!!" "You'll let ever deer in the woods know you've just knocked one down." Available at finer sporting goods stores everywhere.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunt long enough and you will hear and see things that are upsetting. Having respect for the animal means trying to only take high percentage humane shots. On the rare occasion where something goes wrong you act just like what you did and dispatch the animal quickly. Not much else you can do.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first deer I shot did it 50 yards from me till she died. Its a bit unnerving knowing you are hearing somethings death cry but that;s the sad side of hunting and why we should be proud of every deer we harvest.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep.I've heard it and It's something that you'll probably never forget. It's one reason that I really don't like hunting deer anymore. The other reason was the doe I shot and seeing her two fawns stand 40 yards away looking back bleating for her. I don't need to see sh!t like that.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

12yds, shot the only deer I've killed in the spine with a Beman arrow and NAP broadhead. I was far from prepared for it and couldn't get down from the stand fast enough. He lifted up on his front legs enough so that I could get a broadside shot on him. I closed my eyes, climbed down from the stand and walked off because I couldn't watch any longer. Bothered me for several weeks.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

"First we revolutionized deer hunting when brought you the 'Grunt Tube', then the 'Can Call', then the 'Snort-Wheeze', and finally,last year the 'Buck Roar'."
"Well, we're about do it again.Introducing the latest breakthrough call fromPrimos: 'The Deer Scream". Used at that special time of the season when a deers pain threshold is through the roof!" "EEEEEEIIIIIIIIAAAHHHHHH!!!!" EEEEEEIIIIIIIAAAAHHHHH!!!" "You'll let ever deer in the woods know you've just knocked one down." Available at finer sporting goods stores everywhere.

LMAO!!! Do you work in marketing by any chance?? If not, you should.

LOL that was great, thanks for the laugh!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 PM

I'm glad i'm not the only one who has had some horrible thoughts and dreams. I took my first deer this year at 10 yards. She was hit in the spine and dropped. Well she tried to get back up on her front two legs and of course kept falling down. I felt horrible and sick to my stomach watching her do that. She finally stopped flailing and when i walked over to see if she was dead there she was gasping for breath. I immediately dispatched her. Every day for a week after shooting her everytime i closed my eyes i saw her gasping for breath and trying to get up and run. At times it almost brought me to tears. I still see it every once in a while in my head while trying to sleep. It really bothered me. I really love animals and hate to see them suffer but i also love to hunt. I guess its alot easier for the deer to run off 30-40 yards and die then have to watch it right in front of you. Will i ever get over this? Am i being a sissy?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

I hear ya guy,s buddy shot a buck I found him still kickin what a erie sound 1 shot to end that. I thought I was tough but the last few yrs I,ve seen neglected horse,s and other wildlife at so called petting zoo,s or refuge,s if I had my way I,d shoot the care taker,s and let them suffer. I try to keep the things I,ve seen in the back of my mind and try to make my first shot count .

Quick Reply: Terrible Sound!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.