Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scope power for shotgun?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scope power for shotgun?

I've had no problems with my simmons scope at any range and 100 yard shots included. I took my best buck this year at 80 yards off handed and the gun/scope was flawless. 4x is great for close as well as longer ranges. I als have a see through moung so I can use my rifle sights too. I used them this year to put down my buck at 30 feet instead of using my scope although I did find him quick enough in it. I've never had trouble finding a deer in a 4x though.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have an H&R Ultraslug with a Bushnell 1-4x. I am very happy with the gun andjust as happywith the scope. I took a doe last year at 12 yds and a buck at 70 yds.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:32 PM

i think im gonna get a 1-4x
Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11
my guess is that most of the deer will be about 35-40 yards so wat scope would you reccommend i still might have some shots up to 100 yards though....
also one more thing what are some good slugs? i have a rifled barrel
At those ranges, the 4x willl be awesome. I myself have take deer out to 70 yards with mine. But I also missed a very large buck at 140 yards. Is that shot makable with a 4x scope? Absolutely! But that shot would be inarguably easier to pull off with a 7x, 9x, or even a 10x scope. Do you NEED a higher power shotgun scope? Of course not. But again, for me, I am restricted to my shotgun for most of my hunting, so I need a scope that adds to the gun's versatility. With the 4x scope I have, I believe I am losing some potential of the gun. With a 9x or 10x, I'll certainly be able to tap into the gun's longer range capabilty with confidence, and do so without breaking the bank.

As for slugs, you should try all the major brands to see which your gun likes best. Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Brenneke all make good slugs, and unless the first brand you try groups 1" at 100 yards, you should try them all. Make sure you use sabot slugs.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like Nikon Pro Staff 2x7 great scope for shotgun & muzzle loaders.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Spike

it really depends on what kind of area you are going to hunt in. here in ohio where i hunt there is only 1 maybe 2 small 10 acre woods in one square mile and you can shot 50 yards or less most of the time until the stand out in the middle of the section and lokk at you. when the happens it would be nice for a long range scope. like i said it depends on where you hunt and your preference
Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 PM

would a 1.5-4.5x work well?
buck hunter 87 where in ohio u live?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:03 PM

would a 1.5-4.5x work well?
buck hunter 87 where in ohio u live?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Leupold 3x9x40 on my Remington 1100 w/ the rifled barrell.
If I am walking or still hunting I keep it on 3 or 4 depending on the terrain. Sitting, I like to have that 7-9 power if I have to reach out in the field.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Buck Hunter 87, it really depends on the type of hunting. During shotgun season, I am typically group hunting, so the deer are usually close and moving when being driven. I have a Bushnell holosight on my Nova and a Bushnell red-dot multi reticle on my 870. Both are great for quick shots at close range, and with both eyes open, I can chamber another slug while still keeping my eyes on the reticle.

Now on my Muzzleloader, I have a bushnell fixed 4x with circle-x reticle, but that's how I hunt with that.

Quick Reply: scope power for shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.