Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scope power for shotgun?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 AM

Default scope power for shotgun?

i own a mossberg 500 12 gage combo gun. i have a BSA red dot scope on my slug barrel but i dont really like it and it doesnt zoom at all. what scope power is good for deer up to 100 yards but close as 15 yards? also what is a good afforable scope?
thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scope power for shotgun?

I've got 3 shotgun scopes. 1 on a Mossberg 500, 1 on a CVA Wolf. Both Those are Nikon Pro Satff 2x7x32, get them about anywhere for $125. The third is a Bushnell on my 1187, I can't remember the model 1.75-4 power maybe. I can't remember what I even gave for it but it is for slug guns, has good eye relief. Alot of people like the fixed 4 power scopes. I prefer lower power on a variable scope for the closer shots. Can't go wrong with that Nikon.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend a low power variable (1-4X for example) or a fixed 4X should be plenty.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a leopold 1X4 on my Ithica 37 deerslayer.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a simmons the has a dimond retical. Its a 4x32 I love it. Clear and acurate. I couldn't find a model number on it. I actually think I got it at Walmart. I've had it out in some nasty stuff and never had a problem. You can set it up so you have a close range spot and a longer range spot. Meaning you use the center of the retical crosshairs for 50 yards and the bottom of the dimond for 100 and above etc.. Pulls in alot of light too.

Mines on my Remington 870. If I had another gun I needed a scope for this would be the one I'd look for.
Variables are nice but I rarely change the power in the field.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm in the same boat with Jasonlester. I've got 2 H&RUltra Slug Hunters. Both wear Simmons straight 4X scopes. They've been great. Killed alot of deer.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 AM

I guess I'll be the first to go against the grain. I currently have an 870 with Hastings barrel and Bushnell 1.?-4.5x with the Circle X reticle. I think this scope is great, and I have killed more deer with it than any other gun I own. But after seven years, I am realizing that this gun combo is more accurate than I can be with this scope at 100 yards. I know the bold reticle of this scope doesn't really help much, but I really feel I would be better served with a higher power scope. When I have the extra cash, I'll probably opt for something in the neighborhood of a 2.5-10x, or at least a 3-9x.

If I hunted areas where I would never see a shot past 50 yards, I would keep it as-is. But nearly all of my hunting is done on military installations which requires the use of slug guns or muzzle loaders, and its hard to have a lot of confidence in a 4x outfit while sitting a decent sized field or late season ridge where the shots could be 100 yards or more.

IMHO, buy more scope than you need, so you can have the best of both worlds: low power for close-up, low-light shots, and higher power for making the longer shots that these guns are surely capable of.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: kry226

I guess I'll be the first to go against the grain. I currently have an 870 with Hastings barrel and Bushnell 1.?-4.5x with the Circle X reticle. I think this scope is great, and I have killed more deer with it than any other gun I own. But after seven years, I am realizing that this gun combo is more accurate than I can be with this scope at 100 yards. I know the bold reticle of this scope doesn't really help much, but I really feel I would be better served with a higher power scope. When I have the extra cash, I'll probably opt for something in the neighborhood of a 2.5-10x, or at least a 3-9x.

If I hunted areas where I would never see a shot past 50 yards, I would keep it as-is. But nearly all of my hunting is done on military installations which requires the use of slug guns or muzzle loaders, and its hard to have a lot of confidence in a 4x outfit while sitting a decent sized field or late season ridge where the shots could be 100 yards or more.

IMHO, buy more scope than you need, so you can have the best of both worlds: low power for close-up, low-light shots, and higher power for making the longer shots that these guns are surely capable of.
my guess is that most of the deer will be about 35-40 yards so wat scope would you reccommend i still might have some shots up to 100 yards though....
also one more thing what are some good slugs? i have a rifled barrel
Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

ORIGINAL: kry226

my guess is that most of the deer will be about 35-40 yards so wat scope would you reccommend i still might have some shots up to 100 yards though....
also one more thing what are some good slugs? i have a rifled barrel
For most shots at 35-40 yards, your current set-up is perfect imho. I use a no-power red-dot and love it. Very accurate to 150+ yards. Pull up, both eyes open, and instantly ready to fire. No finding-the-buck-in-the-scope problems which can happen at close range.

As far as slugs go, I have had excellent luck with Win. Partition Gold Sabots in 2 3/4". Extremely tight groups, and excellent speed (1900 fps). They are a bit spendy at around 15 bucks a box on sale, but are well worth the few extra bucks. Night and day difference in accuracy and rangebetween these slugs and regular pumpkins through a smooth-bore.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

i own a mossberg 500 12 gage combo gun. i have a BSA red dot scope on my slug barrel but i dont really like it and it doesnt zoom at all. what scope power is good for deer up to 100 yards but close as 15 yards? also what is a good afforable scope?
thanks
I like 2-7x32mm Shotgun Scopes on bothshotguns and short barreled carbine rifles (Marlin 336, Winchester model 94 ect.).2 power has been low enough for deep woods and brushhunting and 7 power has been strong enough for the more open areas.Just my $0.02. [/align]

Quick Reply: scope power for shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.