Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck on the Run

Old 12-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Buck on the Run

I have this really nice 10pt on camera that has been coming around since the end of Nov. He is only coming out at night though I have been hunting him pretty hard over the holidays. I didn't get to hunt today and wouldn't you know they were running dogs on land that connects mine and 1 of the guys that were back there told me that he shot at him and missed.My question is how far you think he went and how long do you think it will be before he comes back in the area?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Default RE: Buck on the Run

about 3 days
Old 12-30-2007, 08:16 PM

63 hours 42 minutes and 23 seconds.
Be there at that time and you will have your chance
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM

Everyone seems unhappy this evening...

Bucks like to stay in one territory from what I gather, but there is no way to tell. On the flipside, they are very smart and maybe he will never come back. The only way you'll find out is if you get back out there ASAP and keep on doing what you've been doing. You won't see him for sure if you give up!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:17 AM

A few years back I saw 2 nice bucks come out at the same time and shot the "nicer" one of the two. The second one ran to the edge of the field and stopped and stared at me while theone I had shot at at dropped in its tracks. I told my younger brother to go to the same spot about 2 days later. Surprise, surprise, same buck that had been with the one I shot came out in the same area, but behind my brother instead of infront of him. He got buck and we both got them mounted. So keep at it, he will be back more than likely!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

bump
Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

We ran a big heavy racked nine pointer out on a drive and he was missed by two of us. As we were walking back to the trucks I saw movement at the edge of a field, it was that buck and an uncle of mine shot it. That buck had been jumped out of his bed, and then missed by two people, he just cuircled around and was about twenty yards away from where he was originally jumped. So he was back within ten minutes. But it is hard to say how hard your buck was runned... A dog can really put a run on a deer and scare the crap outta them.