Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 poor blood trails, switch gun/ammo? >

poor blood trails, switch gun/ammo?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

poor blood trails, switch gun/ammo?

Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: poor blood trails, switch gun/ammo?

I agree with Paul. He has some great advise! I also agree that high shots can result in low blood loss too!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

I'm using core-lokts, fmj's are illegal in here in WI. Does anybody use some slightly more expensive shells that they have better success with? I know that shells shoot differently for every gun, but i'm looking for a bullet that'll leave a decent exit wound, not a grapefruit sized hole, but somethin bigger than a quarter like i've been getting from the core lokts. thanks again for the advice guys, only 11 more months until gun season starts up again!!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schobs

I'm using core-lokts, fmj's are illegal in here in WI. Does anybody use some slightly more expensive shells that they have better success with? I know that shells shoot differently for every gun, but i'm looking for a bullet that'll leave a decent exit wound, not a grapefruit sized hole, but somethin bigger than a quarter like i've been getting from the core lokts. thanks again for the advice guys, only 11 more months until gun season starts up again!!
Here is a mule deer doe taken at a lasered 298yds. with factory 150gr. Winchester Power Point ammo out of a 270wsm. One shot through both lungs. She went 30yds. only with no blood trail. Seemed to do the job.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg178/700xcr/1209070959-00-01.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg178/700xcr/1209071041-00.jpg
Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

I think i can safely assume that mule deer was taken out west somewhere, where the terrain is a bit more open, however the area i hunt here in WI is much more dense, so much so that if a deer takes off aftera lethal hit and makes it 100+ yards, it could easily be in some really thick, nasty cover, where trailing without a blood trail is very difficult. It looks like the doe in the picture was hit a bit high as well, perhaps that's why she didnt bleed, just like mine. did you notice if the chest cavity was full of blood when you field dressed her? The ammo i've been using has been getting the job done thus far, i just think i owe it to the animals to try and recover wounded quarry 100% of the time, and a more distinct blood trail would really help.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schobs

I think i can safely assume that mule deer was taken out west somewhere, where the terrain is a bit more open, however the area i hunt here in WI is much more dense, so much so that if a deer takes off aftera lethal hit and makes it 100+ yards, it could easily be in some really thick, nasty cover, where trailing without a blood trail is very difficult. It looks like the doe in the picture was hit a bit high as well, perhaps that's why she didnt bleed, just like mine. did you notice if the chest cavity was full of blood when you field dressed her? The ammo i've been using has been getting the job done thus far, i just think i owe it to the animals to try and recover wounded quarry 100% of the time, and a more distinct blood trail would really help.
You are correct. Deer was taken in Washington State. In the picture it looks high but I was shooting down hill too.That is why leftentrance hole is higher than right exit hole in the picture.She had blood in her when I field dress her.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can buy more expensive bullets, but the Core-Locts and Winchester Power Points work just about as well 95% of the time! My two Winchesters love Core-Locts as much or better than the high dollar stuff and they perform well on game too! If you are not getting good accuracy with them, I'd try something else. If you are getting good groups at the range, I'd work on shot placement instead of new ammo!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM

i have the same gun i use winchester ammo 180 grain i usely dont have to track them
but if i do the blood trails are like a foot wide
Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM

I use 150 gr core locks in my .308, and I shoot behind the shoulder like you, and I often hit a little higher than optimum, and I often have sparse blood trail. I don't worry about it, the deer always die quickly, and I always find them. If there is a situation, say a longer shot, heavy cover, precipitation, late in the day, huge buck, etc, where I'm really worried about not finding the deer, I'll hold a little differently. In a situation as I described, I'll take a shot that will break the deer down, such asshoulder, base of neck, etc.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The pin hole 3006 does that sometimes.... If your shots are less then 200 yards all the time... play with the 870. I have an H&R Ultra slug 12 gauge and I kill deer ever year out to 200 yards with the Hornady SST's 300 grain. Bring a range finder and zero the gun for 150 yards with a gun vice. If you are staying in the 150 yard range and sometimes at 200 you will never pick up the 30-06 AGAIN with an H&R (its a 350 dollar package with a scope). My H&R poors blood on everything...big holes make for big blood trails....

But- - The 30-06...Is an all around master of disaster....its that darn narrow bullet the leaves us wondering sometimes....I've seen moose flip with a 30-06 though...the joys of hunting and learning...see your local dealer about an H&R....broaden your horizons...this forum has helped me learn alot from people like you....

Old 12-31-2007, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im going to recomend going to a Federal 165 Gr in 30-06. We have been using these for many years and they have always done us well. Try em out you ll love em.

Quick Reply: poor blood trails, switch gun/ammo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.