HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   ***UPDATED***Help..they ate my deer! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/224732-updated-help-they-ate-my-deer.html)

SGTLOWE 12-29-2007 08:36 AM

***UPDATED***Help..they ate my deer!

Hello all,

I arrowed a doe yesterday evening at dusk and spent about three hours looking for her. I went back out this am and found her a ways off just now. The yotes have eaten her nose/ears and a## out. Is this now a wasted deer, with contaminated meat? Or can I save anything? I feel awful that I cound not find it last night. What are some your experences with this?

Thanx

Update:

Well I went out and took a few pics(attached). Worse yet tunred out to be a button head :( . I am thinking about setting up over the carcus and puting some lead through whatever comes to eat it. I just need tocheck with my regs and see whats allowed 1st. I only have about two week lift in season here and I have plenty of tags so no worries there. Thanks for the help.

newguy23 12-29-2007 08:38 AM

RE: Help..they ate my deer!

Happened to me this year... I had to go back to look for my doe in the morning and 'yotes had eaten the butt end out of it!

Meat is no good in my opinion.

Champlain Islander 12-29-2007 08:41 AM

I personally wouldn't recover it after the yotes have eaten off from it. They usually go into the azz end first and IMO contaminate the hind quarters and possibly back straps. I would just chalk it up to a lost animal and continue to hunt. I do know others who bring it home but that is their choice. I know one person who brought a similar deer into a check station and the warden who happened to be there took the deer and gave him another tag.

8mm/06 12-29-2007 09:16 AM

That makes sense. I'll bet if SGTLOWE called the game warden in his area and asked about it they would promise to give him a new tag in exchange for the scavanged doe carcass. They get a research animal and he continues to hunt...win/win.

SGTLOWE 12-29-2007 10:40 AM

one more pic

pic

Warkie 12-29-2007 11:42 AM

RE: one more pic

Once the coyotes have been at it, I would leave it alone. Unfortunate as it may be.
[align=left] [/align]

yakuza wiz 12-29-2007 12:26 PM

that happened to me durring bow season.
I wouldn't eat the meat, just count the loss and keep hunting.

walker12 12-29-2007 01:08 PM

don't eat that mess.

WrackMaster 12-29-2007 02:22 PM

I had a yote eat the arse of a doe I shot last year.I just trimmed around the eaten portion and I ate it with no problems.

outlaw50 12-29-2007 06:05 PM

Let the yotes have it. the deer that is and then give the yotes lead for desert.