Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion? >

Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

Wool all the way. Love it. Some is pricey, but it can last a lifetime. My current choice is Beagle Wear of Vermont.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

To expensive. Layers.

This beats wool.
http://www.northernoutfitters.com/default.aspx

Old 12-30-2007, 06:50 PM

i love wool
Old 12-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Little Doe Peep

My husband wears nothing but military surplus wool clothing, some of it foreign, that he gets from Sportsmans Guide, high quality, dirt cheap. Unfortunately, none of it comes in my size.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:10 PM

Go wool or go home! You don't have to spend any more than you would on hunting clothes made out of other materials. Low end would be second hand, or military surplus, high end would be sleeping indian or filson. I use mid range, Codet, for my outer wear, serves me very well, woolrich is comparable. For under layers, poly long johns, watch for end of year clearance, or thrift shop. Don't wear cotton under your wool, defeats the purpose! Good wool sweaters can be had for a song in thrift shops. Don't forget the hat and socks! You'll have to spend some money for a good wool hat, but you must have one. Stormy Kromer. $35.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

www.beaglewear.com the best for getting your size and fitting you.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

Wool all the way. Love it. Some is pricey, but it can last a lifetime. My current choice is Beagle Wear of Vermont.
Nothing better than beaglewear!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like wool a lot. I use a thin polypropylene underlayer -- bottoms and tops as well as thin inner sock. Over this I wear medium weight military surplus wool trousers and a Pendleton wool shirt. When needed, over this I will wear a Filson MacKinaw wool vest -- an article I like a lot, its very comfortable, very warm, lots of mobility. On top of this, if it is really cold, I'll wear a fleece insulated Cabela's parka of some kind that is waterproof fabric (they call it "dry plus"). I have a pair of the Filson heavy weight MacKinaw wool pants, it just never has been cold enough while I was hunting to want to put those on, the medium weight military surplus pants have worked well down to about 15 degrees and to about 30 degrees in driving wet snow. I have sat under an evergreen tree with melting snow dripping onto my wool pants and not gotten cold in these wool pants. I also find that wool dries out pretty quickly. My pants were pretty wet after sitting under the tree with melting snow dripping on me and after that driving wet snow, but just sitting on the back of a chair in my hotel room the pants dried out overnight and were ready to go the next day, which was also true of my polypropylene.

I like wool a lot. I would get a heavy outer wool coat, but frankly most of the time I'm not hunting when it is cold enough to justify this kind of heavy coat.

Be aware that wool doesn't have to cost you a lot. If you do your homework you can find the military surplus wool trousers in your size on the Internet for maybe $20/pair and add $5 for shipping. You can do the same with a good used wool Pendleton shirt -- find it on the Internet and buy for about $20 plus $5 for shipping. Considering the service these articles of clothing provide, those are good prices.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 AM

I love my wool!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:37 PM

First of all... What a nice buck you got there, Dan!!! Congrats on a real shooter!

I am pleased by all the positive remarks, and thank all of you for your input. I have the wool clothing from Weatherby and recently purchased Cabela's Dry Plus Outfitter Wool Bibs since I could not find matching Weatherby bibs anywhere.
It seems that although the search has been for a while, I find myself leaning towards my wool clothing more and more. I have spent way too much $$$$ looking for the right thing in quality hunting outerclothing for colder weather.
The question about weight seems to be insignificant asper all of your comments. Insulation and quick drying out weighthe weight factor.
Thanks fellas for all your feedback.
Happy New Year to all of you!!!

Quick Reply: Wool Hunting Clothes- Your Opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.