Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many make/use homemade ground blinds? >

How many make/use homemade ground blinds?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I make and use often.
46.38%
Have made but dont use often.
33.33%
I prefer Prefeb homemade tent type blinds.
5.80%
I only use tree stands.
7.25%
Dont use any type of blinds.
7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

How many make/use homemade ground blinds?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM

Default RE: How many make/use homemade ground blinds?

Thanks
please keep the poll going. Doing a reasearch project and your input helps.
N
Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use them when i have to
Old 01-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Old christmas trees work good. Lay 4 of them down in a square and sit inside.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Spike

Default Versatile Homemade Blind

We make our own reuseable blinds out of Wallymart volleyball nets with colored squares of burlap glued to them with washable fabric glue. The squares move in the wind a little like leaves.

It can be washed when we get it dirty.
$15 for the netting, $50-100 for the burlap and $50 for glue.
It ends up being a whopping 30 feet long X 3 feet high.
It rolls up nice (though heavy when soaking wet).

I have used to strung between trees while turkey hunting, wrapped around my jeep, and pulled up vertically to conceal the ladder to my tree stand. I carry (8) 5 foot long pieces of #4 rebar in the jeep, to use it as a self-supported blind when there are no trees handy.

I have a couple of them and they have lasted years. My oldest one is 20 years old. It just went through rehab & had some new and missing squares reglued to it.

The fabric glue is stronger and simpler than sewing - even a guy can do it.

I've made smaller ones to wrap around my tree stand as well. I first wrap a brown plastic tarp around the tree stand before placing the blind, to help cut down my scent, block the wind & keep in some heat.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, welcome to the site Barfly! How long did it take you to find this thread that has been dead for 6+ years? I think I'll just stay with the inexpensive popup Ameristep blind that packs up right into a cirlce and into it's own backpack.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I don't really ever build a blind during deer rifle season. I do crawl in a blow down or get in a nest of logs. Even then, I usually wrap an orange vest around a tree up high enough to be seen easily. If you are hunting in a season that mandates wearing orange and sit in a blind, you are just asking for trouble.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

Wally world sells the folded up burlap so i carry one of these and four green painted sticks along with thumb tacks and safety pins.
I use them for ground blinds or even to conceal me in a ladder stand
daddus
Always try to have something solid at my back and always play the wind
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I'm making a natural blind this year in addition to my tree stand and my Barronett Blind. I'll have three locations to hunt.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

If I can see what I need to see & the wind will cooperate, I'll hunt on the ground in a heartbeat!

This blind I "made/modified" was actually an existing log pile that was already in a prime spot! In fact back in early Oct I put a portable tripod over this log pile while utilizing the still present foliage to breakup the outline. I killed a 120" 8pt with my crossbow at 12yds. I then decided I wanted to muzzleload & gun hunt from that spot but by then the leaves would be gone so a tree stand would stick out like a sore thumb. This spot is on the south end of a 100yd long lake levee that runs N/S. It's a HUGE bottleneck/funnel because on one side is my 30acre oxbow lake, the otherside is the river. The deer essentially travel the levee like a bridge! (To make it even sweeter I have a foodplot on the north end of the levee.) With a south wind I hunt a ladder stand overlooking the foodplot. With a north wind I hunt the log pile because the winds in my face & the river is 5ft behind me. The deer travel within 20 FEET of the pile at times!

I used my tractors front end loader to move the logs around for better visibility & blind/concealment but didn't move the piles location or size. I swept the leaves & debris out from behind it so 2 can comfortably sit in bag chairs, completely hidden from deer that walk by only feet away. The first afternoon I hunted it I had a 120" 8pt come by at 20 FEET & he was clueless I was anywhere around!

Since it looks similar to the ground blinds Jim Shockey hunts from in Canada, we call this one the "Shockey blind".
Attached Thumbnails  How many make/use homemade ground blinds?-image.jpg