Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many make/use homemade ground blinds? >

How many make/use homemade ground blinds?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I make and use often.
46.38%
Have made but dont use often.
33.33%
I prefer Prefeb homemade tent type blinds.
5.80%
I only use tree stands.
7.25%
Dont use any type of blinds.
7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

How many make/use homemade ground blinds?

Old 12-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Default How many make/use homemade ground blinds?

Looking to find the use of prefab blinds and those who make homemade stick/vegetation type ground blinds. Thanks for you help.
Regards
Norm
Old 12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many make/use homemade ground blinds?

Norm,

I hunt 100% on the ground due to my back problems. I carry a 4' X 6' piece of cammo fabric rolled up in my pack that I use as needed. One added advantage is that the fabric can be run through the washer with scent free soap after you buy it to help eliminate some of the human odor.

Bob
Old 12-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt mostly from Treestands, but also hunt form prefab ground blinds and also homemade. The homemade models usually consist of two stakes and some camo cloth with a tree for the center of my triangle blind.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:02 PM

This is my first year of really using ground blinds successfully. I bought a pop up kinda blind a few years ago to turkey hunt out of (which I never have yet). I have tried this in a few instances where I never even saw anything.

This year was different... I set it up in an area where the prevailing winds came into my face when facing north. Some times the winds would shift from the sout/southwest. This was ok too. I shot 3 deer from that blind this year. I had deer as close as 3 steps away. When I used the pop up as it came out of the factory the deer were mighty spooky. Kept looking my way etc. I thenk took some cedar and pine boughs and teepeed them around the pop up. Running some limbs over the top and below the main window. It worked beautifully. After that the deer never gave it a second glance. I would bruise a cedar limb just about each time I got into the stand. That and kick leaves around me inside the blind until I could smell the earth. Often here in the south the wind will shift. I can say I rarely got busted. I was (and have one more week left) hunting a stand of oaks. It is a pretty decent trail between our property and the neighbors.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 AM

so you create a teepee around the prefab eh.
so you can leave the tp up and use it again the following year? Im sure it would stay in place for the most part.
Ever find anyone elses blind out in the woods while walking?
thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt 100% on the ground for deer using natural (stick, logs, etc), homemade (box blinds, stake and camo wrapped, etc) and prefab pop up blinds. All have been effective. Placement ofthe blind is critical, avoiding unnatural locations. One reason why I don't usea particular style of ground blind.

The only blinds I leave out year round are all natural and a couple wood box blinds that stay put as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:18 PM

In open hardwoods you can make like a "cabin". Just get long sticks about the diameter of your arm, select a blind location with at least three trees, and start laying them in there. It takes some time, but you've really got something when you're done. You've got concealment, shelter, and shooting rest. I build my own seat too, get an old rotten piece of log, thicker than your leg, and pile up a few sections, mash them down with your foot until they're the right height and comfortable. Then if you use this blind in subsequent years, you can just add to it.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a treestand(summit climber) the most but have made quite a few cedar blinds!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:23 PM

thanks-
you or others ever just prop up say...three or four logs/sticks in sort of a tipi posision and then block the sides with a cammo cloth and/or smaller natural debris?
thanks
n
Old 12-28-2007, 07:57 PM

i have killed more deer out of a homemade blind than anywere else i keep 4 peices of pvc pipe about 3 ft long and sum camo burlap and drive them into the grownd and wrap the burlap arond

Quick Reply: How many make/use homemade ground blinds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.