Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler Growth?

Old 01-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Antler Growth?

I found my first shed today and it was a 3 point, right side of a 6 pointer. Now next year when this buck is done growing his antlers will he still be bigger six pointer or will he grow more points? how does this work? I am sure genitics have alot to do with it! thanks

bowhuntingfool
Old 01-29-2003, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antler Growth?

nobody can tell but the deer...it could be a really old buck on the decline...it can be a 1.5yr olds shed...it all depends on genetics..nobody can say what that deer will be next year..but if hes still growing generally they pick up a few points along the way..but ive heard of a decint number of 6pters with big spreads indicating older age...no matter what they usually gain mass until their prime....points are all on genetics though...
Old 01-31-2003, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Not so much genetics, but nutrition plays a big part in antler growth. In areas with too many deer the does will take the best habitat for raising their fawns. This will leave the bucks with less nutritional food. Less nutrition=less antler growth.

--------------------
Be a steward of the resouce, not just a deer killer.

Edited by - Bob S on 01/31/2003 16:52:28
Old 01-31-2003, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Genetics, nutrition and age all play a part in antler development. Also injury in velvet stages can affect that years growth or cause abnormalities in the horns. No real way to tell if that deer will be similar, larger or in fact smaller next go around. Also no real way of telling if he'll make it until next year. I have found small sheds and then taken a dandy buck in the same area the year following, also vice versa. The only thing for sure is you have some more horns to add to your collection and you know that some bucks are in your area. Keep searching for the matcher and others. My scouting for next year always begins with shed hunting and finds.

Old 02-02-2003, 01:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info!!!!!!! peace

bowhuntingfool